Landfill Score

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do commercial refrigeration for a living and I am that guy who can fix the ancient industrial stuff with no paperwork, markings etc. Those are old reclaim tanks for pulling refrigerant out of equipment. Usually yellow and grey in color. What kind of refrigerant is anyones guess without a pressure reading. And pressure reading would tell you nothing if they mixed refrigerant. On the other hand if it is uncontaminated r22 it is going for about 1500 dollars for a 24 pound jug right now. If you know a good hvac guy that is your solution

Do you think your local fire department would take them? If I had to empty them, after reading all the potential dangers I would do the following: Take it out to a large open area. No people or houses for a mile or more in all directions. Attach an acetylene wrench to the tank valve. First attach a long sturdy piece of wood to the acetylene wrench for leverage. Next strap the tank to a tree trunk or other immovable object. Now place a large trash bag over the valve opening. Loosely tie the bag to the valve. Now attach a line to the end of the wood handle. Get far away. 100 feet or even a 100 yards. Slowly pull the line to rotate the wood handle to open the valve a little. Observe with binoculars if the bag inflates. If it does wait for the tank to empty. Wait some time. Approach slowly checking for any odor of chlorine, ammonia, etc. Just a thought.

And you KNOW it's not acetylene how? Ok, the "pipe dope" looks like corrosion. By the way, pipe dope is still in wide use and suggested over thread tape for some fittings materials. You obviously know NOTHING about fittings on compressed gas cylinders.

The tank you think is not empty is likely an acetylene tank, the valve stem is typical of these tanks. The larger tank you think is empty was probably oxygen initially. These tanks are decades old, and you don't even know if the valves have been switched out. If you are lucky you might get a Darwin award, or you could be permanently injured (how do you think life goes if your' lungs are badly damaged?).

Best case, there's nothing hazardous in either cylinder and you get squat for taking a huge risk.

If you really want some S02 it's not hard to make, just dangerous to make, as is making any highly toxic substance.

If you kill or hurt neighbors how will you feel, and how much prison time will you get?

You've asked about these cylinders, of all places, on a forum for model-T interested people as well as here. How desperate are you for someone who doesn't know better to agree with you? Why wold you think a car nut is likely to know squat about ancient cylinders.

If you are that suicidal, please don't take the neighbors with you. SERIOUSLY.

SERIOUSLY, CALL THE HAZMAT PEOPLE AT THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. Fittings don't mean squat, especially when they are screwed into the valve. Those valves look like acetylene tanks. They are dangerous enough if opened on their side that you have to use a wrench on all acetylene tanks. And that's dangerous for professional welders, for a fool they are bombs or the one you think isn't empty is full of acetone and all the acetylene was used before discarding the tank, assuming that's even what is was used for at one time. DON'T BE STUPID, even if it is SO2, you'll be taking a lot of risk for something that is cheap to buy. If you simply must see, please do so at least 1/2 mile from any other living sole, and please take your I.D. with you so your' body can be identified if the tank explodes or just gasses you right on out.

Another easy to make reducing agent hydrogen sulfide, very toxic.

View attachment 52436
There is absolutely NO reason to make or use H2S in Gold refining today.
The old PGM refining books from time to time used H2S.
But as far as I know not in Gold refining.
It is a "When you can't smell it anymore you are dead" kind of gas.

From page 136 Hokes Refining Precious Metals.

Q. I was reading an old book about platinum, and it said that platinum
should be precipitated by sulphuretted hydrogen. Is that a good method?

A. Sulphuretted hydrogen, whose modern name is hydrogen sulphide,
is a poisonous gas with an unpleasant odor the odor of rotten eggs.

It will precipitate platinum if the acid concentration is right, but it will
also precipitate gold, copper, lead, mercury, and many other metals as
well, especially the heavy metals. Because of this latter fact it is rarely
used in the recovery of precious metals.

Nope. There are no references to hydrogen sulfide on page 136 of Hoke's book. That part of the book deals with dissolving dental alloys, specifically dissolving them in aqua regia.

The passage you've quoted comes from page 128, and per what you've quoted,
Hoke said:

Even in 1940, when Hoke wrote her book, she said it was rarely used because of the co-precipitation problems. So, what's the purpose in mentioning it at all?

Dave

Nope. There are no references to hydrogen sulfide on page 136 of Hoke's book. That part of the book deals with dissolving dental alloys, specifically dissolving them in aqua regia.

The passage you've quoted comes from page 128, and per what you've quoted,

Even in 1940, when Hoke wrote her book, she said it was rarely used because of the co-precipitation problems. So, what's the purpose in mentioning it at all?

Dave
Screenshot from 2022-10-01 14-37-12.png

Q. I was reading an old book about platinum, and it said that platinum
should be precipitated by sulphuretted hydrogen. Is that a good method?

A. Sulphuretted hydrogen, whose modern name is hydrogen sulphide,
is a poisonous gas with an unpleasant odor the odor of rotten eggs.

Well I did not say it did not work.
I said it has no use in modern Gold refining.
Today we have much better and safer methods.
And as long as it has a bad smell of rotten eggs it is almost safe.
The moment it disappear you are in serious danger.
Not something I want to play with.

Why do you quote it again?

Do you understand that this was one of Hoke's responses to a question she received when she was doing consulting work by mail?

Yes, it's a quote from her book. Someone sent her a question about using sulphuretted hydrogen (hydrogen sulfide). She included her response to the question in her book. Essentially, she debunked its use by saying that it would "precipitate platinum if the acid concentration is right", but that it would also precipitate many other metals, so even in 1940 it was rarely used.

Come on Gill!

This has nothing to do with your original post about finding some rusty, old, compressed gas cylinders at your local landfill.

Dave

Back