Large Diamond

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold_V

Moderator Emeritus
I commented recently on a large diamond, and expected to get more than no response. It's for real, folks, assuming you can believe what is in the June edition of the Smithsonian Magazine.

According to the Smithsonian, "The largest diamond so far found in the universe is the size of a small planet and located 50 light-years away in the constellation Centaurus. Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics discovered the gigantic stone a few year ago, and they believe the 2,500-mile-wide diamond once served as the heart of a star."

Harold :!:

Are you trying to ruin the diamond market that DeBeers has spent so much to promote?

At Earth orbital escape velocity, it will be a few centuries before the cargo ship gets back. :p

Wouldn't that be called a white dwarf( technically speaking)?
It sounds like it's going to be hard for this one to turn into a black hole. :D

Mark

A diamond eh?

I've heard of such things existing in the cores of long dead stars (the gravity takes all the fusion product carbon and squishes it into something pretty, and probably deadly radioactive!).

Honestly Harold, I would rather try my luck with the baseball sized diamonds that rain down on Neptune (I believe it's Neptune) as precipitation!

You really like astronomy, eh Harold? Perhaps you're just like me and like all the sciences :) well except psychology...who believes in that :p

hi there
yanno i was kind of wondering that , you know how on earth there are great spots where you can mine for gold or pan for gold and even diamonds. With this being said im sure everybody noticed that it seems more in certain spots than others. What i was wondering is with other planets etc wouldent there be some planets somewhere that have an over abundence of the stuff we call pm's . Here is an example if i may , do you think there could be a place out there somewhere where gold would be so abundant that its everywhere like sand and pebbles on a beach? I dare say it is possible for every element we know of and even the ones we dont! This was my $2.00 worth (inflation 2 cents goes nowhere)
thanks
Ian

Well, I imagine the precious metals have a lot to do with how that planet was formed, how fluid it was when it was still hot, and also the gravity.

All of these factors are what pulled the great majority of "precious metals" towards the core of our planet, hence making them precious. Fact of the matter is, it's because they're so heavy and dense they are more likely to be found in the mantle and the core rather than the surface.

I also suppose proximity to the debris of a large supernova would also be a factor--those heavy elements all come from such events.

Lou

I would have put it in my treasure box. :D

Actually it looks great, but i think there are even more wonders in our universe. Diamond planets are more common in universe than planets like ours. But still i would really wanted to take some photos on the surface of this planet,though it is likely to be composed of radioactive carbon mostly. :)

Lou said:
I also suppose proximity to the debris of a large supernova would also be a factor--those heavy elements all come from such events.

Lou

The book Red Giants and White Dwarfs, Robert Jastrow, discusses the formation of the heavy elements.

Harold

did you know:
1. A thimbleful of a neutron star would weigh over 100 million tons (I wonder how much it brings per oz?)
2. The interstellar gas cloud Sagittarius B contains a billion, billion, billion liters of alcohol (and you thought you had a drinking problem)

3. not related, but I found it while researching. The average person accidentally eats 430 bugs each year of their life.

viacin said:
did you know:
1. A thimbleful of a neutron star would weigh over 100 million tons (I wonder how much it brings per oz?).

The easy answer to that is one ounce of neutron star material weighs exactly one ounce :)

As for a fluid ounce? An insane amount to be sure!

Let's just say that were such a star cool enough to stand on, it would be quite inadvisable because the gravity for such a small (celestially speaking) and immensely dense body would be so strong a person would be flattened atoms thick!

note to self : do not stand on neutron star.

I meant I wondered how much a oz of neutron star would be worth. Cuz, I got a few thimbles laying around..now all I need is a 100 million ton crane and a star ship....I smell a new business venture :D who wants to invest? 1,000,000,000% returns guaranteed!

note: returns not guaranteed.

lol, I also have a alaskan jumping horse for sale, and some extra beach front property in ohio I'm trying to get rid of. Anyone interested?

Forget the neutron stars, If i ever got me a star ship i'd be straight off for the diamond planet with my mining gear. :shock:

I also know lots about astronomy and astrophysics, and one thing is for sure,

Youve been sitting down for too long.....

Cos theres rings round uranus.. :lol:

lmao... a tasteless classic. I've heard a few uranus jokes in my lifetime, none of which I can repeat around women, children, or small animals.

Ooh, and Lou...about that property. Just get in your car and start driving East untill you hit the ocean. If you see any signs that say "Now Leaving Ohio", ignore them, they are wrong. Let me know when you get there and I'll send you my paypal info :D

I still have an alaskan jumping horse for sale if anyone is interested.

No. He's just in alaska, and he can jump. very rare. I'll take $3m for him. paypal, credit cards, and first born accepted.

EDIT NOTE: horse fell, broke a leg, and I had to shoot him. I don't know if it did any good, because he's still kicking around alot and seems really mad. I suppose the gunpower helps heal the wound? If he's not better by morning I'm going to try again. Now asking $2.3m, discount price!

I have also aquired a very rare and exotic cat! I'm only asking $500 for her, as she has a very bad attitude and I found out last night that she is not housebroken!!

Here is her pic:
[img:600:800]http://www.bigbendgallery.com/uploads/files/Possum_cat_fooda.jpg[/img]

That cat looks ill-favored and with a bad temper. Just the type I like! Would you take $300 for her?

I just hope she isn't dead when I get her :p

Lou,

I would be more than happy to trade for PMs and lab equipment Lou. I will even discount them to $150 in lots of 6 or $200 each and guarantee live delivery. I’m sure you could make a profit on these as your neighbors will want to have one of these new rare pets.

Back