Left over AR

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeneje

Hey, just a quick question, i have some left over AR i made up thinking i would use all of it. Come to find out i have about 200 ml left after complete digestion, Can i put this into an old nitric glass jug and use it next time..or what to do with it for now to make it safe.
Thanks
Ken

I would not cap the solution tightly especially if stored in glass containers, as pressure may build up as the acid breaks down, they normally do not recommend making aqua regia before using it, I am of the opinion because of the reactions in the solution (gases formed) that we need to have to dissolve gold can break down over time.

Thanks guys, i made as Hoke said in her book i used 400ml HCL to 100ml HNO3 and 100ml H2O and it did not take all of it. I will poor into the old nitric jug and put a filter over it with a rubber band on it and leave it outside tonight.
Thanks a bunch I have learned yet another lesson.
Ken

it depends on if the solution has been used or not. the solution shouldnt build pressure if its unused AR.nitric acid will decompose to nitrogen oxide over time if exposed to light. i may have misunderstood, i thought it was un-used solution that was left over.

Geo said:
it depends on if the solution has been used or not. the solution shouldnt build pressure if its unused AR.nitric acid will decompose to nitrogen oxide over time if exposed to light. i may have misunderstood, i thought it was un-used solution that was left over.
Geo it is un-used solution, I will use it in the morning, i have incenrated some more of my filter today it just got dark on me and i try do AR outside when ever possiable.
Thanks Geo,
Ken

Latest posts

Back