Life has been fun, boys and girls.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As some here know, my wife and I moved to Central Texas last summer. After purchasing a home, things started to get interesting.

Through the summer, I began to begin to feel tired easily. Also other aches and pains customary to a man in his mid-sixties.

Long story short, I am currently recovering from open heart surgery and will, when sufficiently recovered, will have cancer surgery on one kidney.

In the not too distant future I will be giving away some silver and gold recovery projects I have yet to get to, and likely never will.

Personal to Frugalrefiner, if there is still interest in my becoming a moderator, contact me in about a year. If recovered sufficiently, I will reconsider the offer I turned down a few years ago.

My hobbies are already changing. Still searching coins, and selling to collectors. Cooking and preserving more often (a non-negotiable item to entice me to move was a freeze dryer. True to her word, my wife bought one for me). Learning soap making and candle making (on this one I already have my wifeā€™s vote of confidence). Also planning on volunteering with two local food banks.

Life brings changes. It is up to each of us to adapt to those changes.

Time for more coffee.
Hope your outcomes are the best!

Yeah, how about it zipper club brother? How are you doing one year out?

And Shark, how about you?

And any of the rest of you who have gone through similar life experiences. How are you all doing? Maybe we can make this a thread to all check in once a year. I'm good.

Dave

Good as can be expected. My bypasses are two years past useful expectations and one has a stent in it now. That makes a total of three stents and one ballon procedure. At the cost of a third heart attack. Both carotidā€™s are holding up good, so thatā€™s a plus. Legs are still problematic but I am still up and around but slow. June I will be going through some advanced testing on the overall health with the main target being the legs. Otherwise I just keep getting up and going again ā€œ ā€˜cause it ainā€™t over ā€˜till itā€™s overā€.

It is good to hear your doing good. Hope the same for galenrog is as well.

Last year was an adventure. March was heart surgery, as some of you know. Septal Myectomy. A few grams of flesh removed from inside the heart.

July was cyroablation of what was suspected to be carcinoma, but biopsy showed it was nonmalignant. Still, it was fast growing. Imaging in October showed the procedure to be successful.

August scared me. Developed a lower GI bleed. Every time radiology did imaging, no bleed detected. The first colonoscopy showed no active bleed, but blood was in the colon. After a week, and four units of blood, gastroenterology did a colonoscopy without a prep. Found four bleeds. Clamped all four off.

I certainly hope this year is relatively uneventful.

Time for more coffee.

Edit:

Remember, boys and girls, aging is not for wimps.

Last edited:
Remember, boys and girls, aging is not for wimps.

Take this with a bit of sarcasm, or as a joke. I once told my vascular doctor ā€œif I had known getting old was like, this I would have never done itā€.

Just to clarify the statement, I meant I would have just stayed a kid. Which my wife still accuses me of times.:p

If I can offer any medical advice it is to keep moving. Just sitting about waiting to get better will do more harm than good. Just get up and do something.

In 2001 I had open heart surgery. 23 years later my heart is fine, last summer I had spine surgery and recovery is slow but I keep moving. I am lucky enough to have an indoor pool and I swim half a mile a day. All part of the moving. I still climb the stairs and go into the greenhouse and play in my lab because movement is key.

So Galen, you are not alone, there are many of us who have overcome setbacks successfully and I'm quite sure all are wishing your success.

And if given a choice, I'd rather look down at the green grass rather than look up at the roots.

You can still have fun in older age; the most important thing is not to forget to take your pills. These days, my most visited website is the Canadian Pharmacy website, as it provides all the information about different medications: how and when to take them, side effects, dosage, etc. Does that mean I'm old?

Last edited:
Yeah, how about it zipper club brother? How are you doing one year out?

And Shark, how about you?

And any of the rest of you who have gone through similar life experiences. How are you all doing? Maybe we can make this a thread to all check in once a year. I'm good.

Per the bold print - ok - I don't really have time today to tell my (full) story so will try to post it this weekend when I have more time

That said - for the short story ------------

About a year & a half ago I was having serious debilitating pain in my lower back & legs (as well as else where) so much so that I could barely walk & as well some other health issues & as a result of these health issues I HAD to quite my job

Today (& for some time now) I am back to work at my old job (building construction) & feeling in MUCH better health over all

And though doctors "in part" played a roll in getting back to better health - BY FAR - my better health is the result of making some very simple life changes - one very simple life change in particular
the most important you don't forget to take your pills
And for what it is worth - with A simple life change I have eliminated ALL the prescription drugs the doctors had me on - which in turn has eliminated all the side effects of those prescription drugs

Kurt

If we go measuring our ****s or talking about health adventures well I do not even know where to start :)

I wont. But here is life hack we do use. We (4 adults family) go through 2-3 boxes of oranges a week. Box with 70-80 pieces in it. All we do is to squeeze juice out of them and drink cup or few every day. Wife used to get bad cold and flu like 4-5x a year kids little less but it was always stuff which sent them to bed for couple days with high temperature, cough and all what comes with it. Ever since we started drinking orange juice they barely get it once a year and even then it is just one-two days stuff while still being able to function fully.
That stuff is a miracle.

I've been making master tonic for about 8 years haven't been sick since. 1# each horseradish, garlic, white onions, ginger, and hot peppers, I use serrano. Grind all up and put in gallon glass jar, cover with unpasteurized cider vinegar and shake it everyday for about a month, longer doesn't hurt. When you get something coming on, take a shot glassful and gargle it for a bit and swallow twice a day. It's good if you're just dragging too. Antibacterial and antifungal.

Back