Locating vacuum pin tubes in Canada

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasTTcar

Well folks, i have taken the leap and will be opening a melt and assay operation in London, Ontario.

I have my XRF up and going and will have my induction furnace working by the end of the month and will be ready to melt by April.

I would like to do pin samples of my melts and am looking for suppliers and tips on what to look for.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Daniel

pintubes.com

or alternatively, just make them. VERY EASY to make. If you're after high tolerances and consistent aliquot/sample size, then buy them.

edi gold said:
Congrats Daniel

Did you get a benchtop or handheld unit ?

Hope all is well!

Bought a benchtop. Been fooling around with it a little, and am starting to get the hang of it. Have the sales rep coming by next week to give me the intensive training. I should have my small induction furnace going by April 1 and will be ready to go.

Lou said:
pintubes.com

or alternatively, just make them. VERY EASY to make. If you're after high tolerances and consistent aliquot/sample size, then buy them.

Thank you for that.

skippy said:
Daniel, will your xrf be able to do palladium and platinum?

It does have that capability. I have some Pt wire that I tested on it and it worked fine.

I am quite excited to get this part of the business going. There is NO ONE in SW Ontario doing melt and assay work and I am sure that I will be able to quickly gain a fairly large customer base very quickly.

Most people who handle moderate and above volume in the region currently ship product or drive to Toronto, many with very mixed results. I expect a high and honest payout will be able to grab a large amount of material.

In conjunction with my new refiner deal, this should work exceedingly well. Within the next 2 weeks, I will have my furnace going and will have my XRF fine tuned enough to start accepting business.

At one place I worked, for pin sampling, we used heavy-walled borosilicate capillary tubing instead of those vacuum tubes. A little awkward at first but, when I got used to it, I liked it much better than the vac tubes. I'm not sure of the dimensions. I think it was either the 3rd or 4th one in this chart. 1.25-1.75mm ID/7-8mm OD or the 1.75-2.25mm ID/7-8mm OD. Expensive in bulk but only about $7 per 4' length. There are probably smaller lab supplies that sell the 4' pieces individually.
https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=89003-302

To use these, we put about a 6" length of latex tubing on one end of the glass tube. The other end of the latex tubing attached to the end of a bulb-type turkey baster. You squeezed the bulb flat, plunged the other end of the glass tubing below the slag into the metal, released the bulb, and then quickly withdrew it. Like the vac tubes, this all has to be done fast or the glass will soften and start sagging. About 3" of metal was sucked into the glass tubing. The end of the glass tubing was then laid on a steel table, gently tapped to break off (as evenly as possible) the glass a little above the pin, then the glass containing the pin was broken off of the pin. The glass tubing left over was re-used until it got too short to work with (about 12"). I would guess we got about 8-10 pin samples per tube. The jagged end of the glass tubing didn't interfere with the sampling.

The awkwardness, of course, was in handling a 48" length of glass tubing. After doing it 3 or 4 times, though, it became easy.

Here are the vac pin tubes. When I buy these, I get the smallest diameter.
http://www.lmine.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LMS&Product_Code=1829V&Category_Code=

I'm in London too, I should pay you a visit sometime.
I hope your new capabilities will get you lots of new business.

goldsilverpro said:
At one place I worked, for pin sampling, we used heavy-walled borosilicate capillary tubing instead of those vacuum tubes. A little awkward at first but, when I got used to it, I liked it much better than the vac tubes. I'm not sure of the dimensions. I think it was either the 3rd or 4th one in this chart. 1.25-1.75mm ID/7-8mm OD or the 1.75-2.25mm ID/7-8mm OD. Expensive in bulk but only about $7 per 4' length. There are probably smaller lab supplies that sell the 4' pieces individually.
https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=89003-302

To use these, we put about a 6" length of latex tubing on one end of the glass tube. The other end of the latex tubing attached to the end of a bulb-type turkey baster. You squeezed the bulb flat, plunged the other end of the glass tubing below the slag into the metal, released the bulb, and then quickly withdrew it. Like the vac tubes, this all has to be done fast or the glass will soften and start sagging. About 3" of metal was sucked into the glass tubing. The end of the glass tubing was then laid on a steel table, gently tapped to break off (as evenly as possible) the glass a little above the pin, then the glass containing the pin was broken off of the pin. The glass tubing left over was re-used until it got too short to work with (about 12"). I would guess we got about 8-10 pin samples per tube. The jagged end of the glass tubing didn't interfere with the sampling.

The awkwardness, of course, was in handling a 48" length of glass tubing. After doing it 3 or 4 times, though, it became easy.

Here are the vac pin tubes. When I buy these, I get the smallest diameter.
http://www.lmine.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LMS&Product_Code=1829V&Category_Code=

Many thanks for that.

I bought 1000 tubes and a couple holders from 2 different suppliers. After I get used to them, I will give the class tube and baster a shot.

Thanks again for the input.

Latest posts

Back