look for someone who melt gold into bar without having to sell the bar in north bay area california

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hijack the post, but I'm kindof in the same boat as OP. I have collected scrap jewelry since I was a kid. I never thought it was a good idea to go out and sell it. I thought I might make something with it at some point. The idea of working with harsh chemicals does not really appeal to me right now. I did buy a small crucible set off amazon to play with stuff.

I'm surprised at the "questionable sources of jewelry" comment. I guess this is something you guys deal with all the time whereas I never gave having a pile of scrap (someone else's old jewelry) a second thought.

What is "Ms Hoke"?
Is there anywhere I can take this stuff to where someone has an XRF gun to make sure it's all legit before I start melting?

Thanks!
-Mathew

Sorry to hijack the post, but I'm kindof in the same boat as OP. I have collected scrap jewelry since I was a kid. I never thought it was a good idea to go out and sell it. I thought I might make something with it at some point. The idea of working with harsh chemicals does not really appeal to me right now. I did buy a small crucible set off amazon to play with stuff.

I'm surprised at the "questionable sources of jewelry" comment. I guess this is something you guys deal with all the time whereas I never gave having a pile of scrap (someone else's old jewelry) a second thought.

What is "Ms Hoke"?
Is there anywhere I can take this stuff to where someone has an XRF gun to make sure it's all legit before I start melting?

Thanks!
-Mathew

I don`t do jewelry since i am no expert in identification and therefore i was doublecrossed with thick plated stamped gold jewelry which turned out to be stamped with legit gold stamp but the actual pieces were fake. I cannot give any advice on jewelry.

That being said, Miss Hoke or "C.M.Hoke - Refining pretious metal wastes" is a book, or better say it`s the best friend and bible of e-waste and other PM scrap refiners.

Use the search function on this forum, I believe it is still available for download.

Be safe

Pete.

What is "Ms Hoke"?

Thanks!
-Mathew
That is quite a tricky question as it is to do with how your local authority wishes to pursue criminals.
In the UK we are required by law to keep records and only pay to a person's bank account.
I personally have only ever had one client caught by the police in someone's home.
When searched he was good enough to have kept two of my recepts.
The person had told me he had inherited the estate of an Aunty which was why he had so much junk to sort through, I even lamented the loss of his relative and was sympathetic, More fool me.
But with good record keeping and a direct bank transfer he could not deny this was not his first offense.
We are instructed to serve suspicious individuals but the police do not want us calling every time we have a bad feeling about a client as this takes them time to see to and we are mostly wrong.
They expect us to keep long-term records and produce evidence that will expose larger patterns of criminality.
Organized criminal burglary gangs, violent offenders that do robbery, and unethical sourcing are their main targets, they seem unconcerned with a petty crime unless they have an actual victim they can easily attribute the loss to and even then they take little interest.

Thank you both for the info.

I guess my next step would be to find someone with a free afternoon and an XRF gun just to better understand what I have.

Latest posts

Back