Looking for a chloride salt solubility chart

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electrolysis with inert anode is a good option for recovery of metals and possibly a way to get a useable solutions, Laser Steve had a useful method for removing copper from his nitrate electrolyte.
I have used something similar but mainly just to push the metals out of solution, but I have been thinking of playing with it more.

I think with divided cells and salt bridges (or ion membranes) and possible multiple chambers or even with something like two power supply's and two sets of electrode a cell can be set up to make acids from some of our solutions, and possibly do some work on our metals at the same time, from time to time I try to sit and think about this, but I am usually so busy with other things I have not had enough time to even think.

Also before attempting we need to understand the dangers of the gases that can many times evolve from electrolysis reactions,and this is also an option for making acids or solution is capturing these gases from electrolysis.

If the solutions are known what they contain, distillation is very handy way to capture the gases and remake a dilute acid, which is concentrated to azeotropic acid, at the same time distilling off the solution will concentrate the metal in solution.

yes....but what happens in an electrolysis of blended metal chlorides, with lead, nickel, copper,iron or worst case beryllium, barium, cadmium (though it may be the best choice to leave the last three in solution...)? And how is the reaction related to the voltage? Is it possible to use the voltage to fractionate the metaltype output? I dont want to waste peoples time by questions, I could work out and read about by myself, but I'd like to know, if this would be a way to go, before I read some books, which will blow my head for some weeks and cost some sanity points (cthulhu RPG insider) :lol:

As I see it if you have multiple metals in solution you will plate out or push out (reduce) multiple metals at the cathode.

If only a couple of metals there can be some what of separation of metal from each other, if the metals are far enough apart from each other in the electromotive series of metals, voltage is controlled and one metal was much more predominant in solution, or better yet if only one metal was compatible with the electrolyte chosen, best only one metal involved in the solution with minor trace of impurity.

So, you can never be sure that the metal output can be melted without generation of highly toxic fumes....tricky

it is not exactly in the main subject but does anyone have tryed to bubble h2 in the waste to see if it could precipitate copper and lower? i have tryed a sample with no good result but i had so many variable that i cant realy be sure that it didnt work...

I believe hydrogen is in the reactivity series of metals as a reference point (when dealing with acids) and in the electrochemical series to determine voltage, I do not see how it would reduce metals, but then again I learn something new everyday.

Basically I do not know but I do not think it would.

Only if you heat the metal compound to red glowing under a hydrogene atmosphere, it will be reduced. I've done this with CuO.

I don't know what will happen, if you are bubbling the H2 over a platinum electrode, since only then you can measure its 0V relative electronegativity.

Latest posts

Back