Looking for a copper refiner. 1.5 million tons of 60-70% copper concentrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuwaysolutions

I’m looking for a contact to a copper refiner. We have been tasked to clean up a superfund site that has 1.5 million tons of copper slag and metal. We are able to concentrate it to 60-70% copper but are having trouble finding a refinery. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Do you have a specific contact or number. I looked them up online and sent an email but not sure if I’m contacting the correct department.

Nuwaysolutions said:
Do you have a specific contact or number. I looked them up online and sent an email but not sure if I’m contacting the correct department.

I'll drop you a PM early next week when I'm back at work.

Nuwaysolutions said:
I’m looking for a contact to a copper refiner. We have been tasked to clean up a superfund site that has 1.5 million tons of copper slag and metal. We are able to concentrate it to 60-80 copper but are having trouble finding a refinery. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Do you have an assay to back your claim 60-80 percent copper, what are the other trace metals encapsulated in this wonderful pile of slag.

Yes, bcgold we have extensive assay results on the copper concentrate. The concentrate consist of mainly copper, and some tin, lead, zinc and iron. The slag pile itself comes from a copper recycler that was shut down by the epa and has been deemed a superfund site. All the copper that was dumped can be anything from electrical wire to electronic scrap. Some pieces of copper that were melted can be the size of a car and almost unmovable. We have seen a very small amount of gold and silver. We are currently able to sell through brokers but are trying to make connections directly to the copper refineries.

Nuwaysolutions said:
Yes, bcgold we have extensive assay results on the copper concentrate. The concentrate consist of mainly copper, and some tin, lead, zinc and iron. The slag pile itself comes from a copper recycler that was shut down by the epa and has been deemed a superfund site. All the copper that was dumped can be anything from electrical wire to electronic scrap. Some pieces of copper that were melted can be the size of a car and almost unmovable. We have seen a very small amount of gold and silver. We are currently able to sell through brokers but are trying to make connections directly to the copper refineries.

You may also want to take a look at SIPI in Chicago

They are a copper smelter

They are VERY large & can likely handle the volume you are talking about - they wont even talk to unless you can provide them with semi truck load(s) on a regular bases --- not sure but because they are in Chicago shipping by train may be possible

They handle "mining by products" as part of their operation

Edit to add; - their operation also incudes recovery & refining of precious metals

:arrow: https://www.sipicorp.com/

Kurt

You are sitting on copper worth 4.5billion USD and you come here to ask what to do with it?

Why not..

Syn said:
You are sitting on copper worth 4.5billion USD and you come here to ask what to do with it?

Why not..

Since the beginning of the forum, I've seen countless people try to scan on here, and that was the first thing that came to my mind here also.
I may be wrong, but it does not seem to add up to me. But I may be wrong.

O.K., I will pretend this is a real request.

The geographical location is important - you will likely want to contact copper processors who are near you to minimize shipping costs.

Ignoring geography as well, and just going with big, flexible copper smelting operations, did you try Kennecott Utah Copper? They are owned by Rio Tinto and located near Salt Lake City. Their main business is smelting actual copper concentrate (a finely ground powder) from an enormous open pit mine, but they do have facilities to bring other materials into the refinery because of recycles and such.

Call their main number on the website, and ask for the name and number of concentrate or material buyers. Explain you have 1.5 million tons of copper. That should pique interest (and suspicion). They will want assays, physical condition, speciation (oxides, metallic, sulfides etc.) and of course physical sizes. Anyone treating this material would want that info.

Two other big smelters are the Hayden Refinery (Grupo Mexico) in Arizona, and Freeport McMoRan's operation also somewhere in Arizona. Otherwise, you are dealing with copper recyclers, who generally have the ability to melt and maybe somewhat purify a melt, before casting and selling bulk impure copper. Most don't have any facility to deal with oxides, sulfides, chlorides or any significant impurities.

Also, if you have chlorides or fluorides, you will need to disclose that, along with arsenic, berrylium and all the organic contaminants like PCBs.

Good luck with it.

Back