• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for a diamond, all you jewelers out there, help!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou

Staff member
I've one friend working on it but I'd like some help for anyone who's got connections. Do me a favour!

I'm looking for a cut 3-5 carat stone for an engagement ring. Preferably princess cut.

Specifications:

Cut: Excellent, brilliant cut
Colour: Looking for an H-D, less colour, the better
Clarity: minimum VVS-1, ideally IF or F

Cost: I'm looking for a good deal for a great stone. Can trade in cash, gold, platinum, rhodium.

Will also consider a suitable rough.

Sounds like somebody is,... somebody with deep pockets! :D

If you don't find what you want Lou, let me know.
I have a friend thats works for a jeweler in Louisville Ky.

That doesn't mean that either one of us would get a great deal though. :D

Mark

Lou. I'm guessing that you've done your homework and know that a stone of that size and quality will cost a lot. What I suggest to most customers is a more middle grade stone since no one but an expert will be able to tell the difference. It's a waste of money for most people to buy a IF/D diamond since one will probably never be able to sell it for what it cost them. About how much are you wanting to spend?

Oh I know this stone cost well over 100k.

I'm not getting married, I'm happily married...to myself and my job. :p Maybe in the next couple years though, 'bout time for kids.

My friend is looking for a decent stone, and yes he can afford it. He has several cars in the garage that are worth a couple of these stones. He's planning on popping the question and apparently doesn't want let down. :)

I figured I'd ask around here while my buddy Lenny tries to source a stone. I know some big people visit this site and figured one might be so kind as to talk to a few associates...

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Lou said:
I figured I'd ask around here while my buddy Lenny tries to source a stone. I know some big people visit this site and figured one might be so kind as to talk to a few associates...

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm not "big people", but I already have an inquiry out to a friend (an old customer) that runs a diamond business in Montana. I'll put the two of you together if he has anything to offer.

Harold

I have a connection who deals in these sorts of things and I have forwarded your requirements to him. I'll let you know what he has to say when I hear back.

Two hits so far:

slightly coloured: I VS-I 4.63ct near perfect cut 60k

better but smaller: G VS-II 3 ct emerald cut, 14k.

Thoughts?

I've one guy who's talking to his people in Antwerp and Tel Aviv.

I've been told that GIA and AGS are the only certs really worth getting.

Lou

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll owe you.

Have you taken a look at eBay? Check out this: 270253086071 auction.

Also: 4ct. Priincess VVS-1 H color

and: 5 1/2 ct Princess SI-1 F color GIA cert.

Still waiting on prices but they will most definitely be over $100,000.

PM me if you are interested.

Kinda funny,

If I had 100,000 to spend on a diamond,... I would'nt.

If thats what your girl wants,... get rid of her! :D

Mark :D

Mark money makes you do all sorta things. Like buying a watch for over $100,000.00 yes dollars. It's the I have factor in money.

If you had $100,000 to spend on a diamond, you would have a different mind set.

You're exactly right James. Potential diamond customers should be educated, given choices and the right to choose what they want. If it becomes apparent that the customer is looking beyond their means, they should be given alternatives with the understanding they can always upgrade later. But, bottom line, it's their choice.

A smart jeweler understands this level of service will bring them business in the future, upgrades, word of mouth, satisfied customers, etc.

IMHO, anything less falls short of the service customer's deserve.

Dick

Ah,... maybe so.
I admit , that If I win the lottery, I'm gonna break down and get my truck repainted.

Mark

3.20 HVS2

3.35 GVS1

3.56 GVS2

3.24 HVS2

all for about 45k. w/ GIA certificates.

3.17 ct G Color VS2 Clarity VG VG Sym/Polish Non-Flour $44,800

3.16 ct E Color SI1 Clarity VG VG Sym/Polish Non-Flour $42,000

Are these decent prices?

Thanks for any in the know,

Lou

Those are decent retail prices. For example, list price for the 3.17ct G/VS2 is $60,321.93 according to an industry reference sheet. Jeweler's usually pay a certain percentage less than those listed. I would suggest that the buyer have an independant appraisal done before paying. As you might notice, these are mostly in the middle quality range either in clarity or color. The price climbs steeply when one wants a D/IF stone. There are some who are willing to pay and enjoy knowing that they have an Ideal Cut top quality stone but many change their minds when they see the price difference.

The last two you gave the most info on are about where we would retail these diamonds, provided they have GIA certs with the number inscribed on the girdle so you can verify the stone with the cert.

I would want more info on the Si1 stone, what is the inclusion(s), where located, etc. This could make a difference, especially in a princess cut.

I suggest the second opinion because GIA used to stand for the highest standards but I seem to recall that they got into some trouble a while back. Some certs are not worth the paper they are written on.
Caveat Emptor.

Back