Looking for advice as I am finishing the first phase of the AP process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a slow and cumbersome start, I finally have some good news to share with this forum. I double refined my gold (from my AP mess) using the advice provided by you guys and have ended up with 5.3 grams of powdered gold.

Both refining processes went exceptionally well. Clear (not cloudy) Chloroauric Acid, followed by filtration, followed by denoxing with sulfamic acid (warmed), followed by filtration again and ending with perfect gold drops using SMB.

Ending on a high note, I am temporarily retiring until the spring of 2023. As you can see from the pictures, my lab is outside (in New England) and the cold weather will hinder me and my refining process.

Besides, I did not find any mention in Hoke’s Book that “pine needles” falling into my beakers produce more gold ;)

Thank you.
Nice. But it is quite dark, more washing or a re refine will be needed to get fine Gold, unless your colors are quite off.
But still a nice result to show :)

Ag and Au, nice result. 👌

@smcg924 do you actually have a question or was this post ment as a warning to others after your experience?
When I did a pressure check it seemed adequately sealed although not 100% airtight so when I did get a little burning in the nose using the chemicals thought it was due to the homemade flap but now I know so thanks again
Know what? Not to use a mask, ever?

As I said originally kind of hard up for money
Then why waste chemicals on rocks? Do you even have the money needed to clean it up and dispose of the chemical waste responsibly? Once you've figured out what is in the mess.

Sorry no pictures of the mess but here’s one of my respirator, been using this 3M 6700.
Great for dusty jobs. But for chemistry: Nice death trap. Seriously.

Now add the fact that I was higher than giraffe pussy
Was that before or after the exposure?

my lab is outside (in New England)
Are you saying you do not have a lab? Never heard of outdoor labs with open roof to let rain in. Who else has acces to this 'lab'? Any curious kids around who like colored drinks?

The liquid was gold and they were flakes at the bottom of the tub.
After AR in a tub full of rocks, you will not see (m)any flakes of gold. I'm guessing mica sheet flakes. Shiny, but not worth very much.
Iron Chloride is just as gold colored as Auric Chloride.

And maybe have mom checked out as well?

Did anyone advice you to stop everything you're doing yet? Here is it:

Stop. Go study. Ask before doing anything. Everything you're doing is wrong and dangerous.
Stay alive. Think first, then act.

Martijn.

Nice pile of gold. Get it cleaned up and melted. Looking forward to seeing a nice button of shiny gold.

I would like to start this thread off with two simple words: Thank you.

You guys offer clear and erudite advice ranging from the "gold recovery/refining mindset" to the "abstract" to the "practical" to the "safety" and everywhere in between. It was so important to me (as a beginner) to settle in, read, slow down, learn, think and manage my expectations. This is an exciting hobby and you guys enhance this pleasure.

Last month, I mixed a batch of AP and placed several pounds of circuit boards inside the 5 gallon bucket. These boards showed high gold visibility but had lots of electronic components soldered onto them. I have since realized that I used too much peroxide. The result is that the boards are now bare/stripped and that much of the gold and copper (and probably the nickel) had dissolved. I am left with a pile of cemented gold (black powder), gold foils, electronic components and "God knows what-else" at the bottom of my bucket. A stannous test is negative. My questions are:

1) I am currently using two, separate buchner filter flasks to speed up the filter stage. Lots of black powder stayed in the small filters. Is there a better way to filter this much liquid?
2) What is the best way to chemically rinse this black powder once it is filtered and in what order? i.e., HCL.... Distilled Water.....Ammonia?
3) And should I heat the rinse?
4) Can I include the filters in the rinse?
5) The AP liquid is now very dark (Black). How do I responsibly dispose of it after filtering it?

Thank you in advance.
Edit to remove content already answered from another member.

Thank you Shark for your valued insight; I took a long ride on the emotional roller coaster getting to this point. I surely lost some gold and spent tons of time. But I now have plenty of basic knowledge to build on.
Knowledge is key when refining. Making the progress builds confidence in that knowledge and puts us on the road to learning even more.

I well remember my first button, and it needed more work. I refined it again and was amazed at how much better it got.

Back