Looking for an anode basket...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sancho_n_Pedro

Supporting Member
Hi guys.

I'm in the need for an anode basket that is inert. I did think of creating one using a platinum solution, but that looks to be quite the expensive way to go. Other options seemed to be creating a basket coated in lead dioxide, but I am not sure on how I can do this.
So I guess my only real option at the moment is to purchase a basket. I will only need one that is about 5-8 inch in diameter by anything around 12-15 inch deep.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy from that is reliable to purchase from (I'm based in the UK)?

The use is for my copper cell, but then will go into my silver cell after all my copper is dealt with (well that is the plan).

Thanks guys

Richard

I would consider plastic. Find a container of some kind (food container, waste basket, etc.). Choose a drill bit of an appropriate size and start drilling. The anode basket for my first silver cell was a yogurt container. Use whatever will meet your needs.

Dave

I would consider plastic. Find a container of some kind (food container, waste basket, etc.). Choose a drill bit of an appropriate size and start drilling. The anode basket for my first silver cell was a yogurt container. Use whatever will meet your needs.

Dave
Didn't actually consider that, good call. Thats like £1 on a 2 tubs, one with the holes and one to capture any contaminants. Will post my pics one I get this set up complete. Thanks

Hi guys.

I'm in the need for an anode basket that is inert. I did think of creating one using a platinum solution, but that looks to be quite the expensive way to go. Other options seemed to be creating a basket coated in lead dioxide, but I am not sure on how I can do this.
So I guess my only real option at the moment is to purchase a basket. I will only need one that is about 5-8 inch in diameter by anything around 12-15 inch deep.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy from that is reliable to purchase from (I'm based in the UK)?

The use is for my copper cell, but then will go into my silver cell after all my copper is dealt with (well that is the plan).

Thanks guys

Richard
Simply use plastic…

I use a simple plastic fish food container, it has a rim round the top and can be inserted in a round hole of a trespa plate, also inert to acids. works perfectly.
I would avoid metal parts in an electrolytic cell. Except for the stainless cathode off course.

Hi guys.

Thanks guys

Richard
Is your Electrolyte Acid ? If so you can make your anode basket out of Titanium . All electroplating business use Titanium Anode Baskets . You will have to use an anode bag over your anode basket .

Silver Cell Uses Concentrated Sulfuric Acid , very dangerous especially in a moist climate . copper does not disolve in this
No, silver cells use silver nitrate and a small amount of nitric acid for the electrolyte.

A copper cell uses copper sulfate with a small amount of sulfuric acid.

A plastic anode basket will serve well in both, without the expense of a titanium basket.

A sulfuric stripping cell uses concentrated sulfuric acid, but that's not what he's doing.

Dave

Ok, I got 2 containers set up for this, both made of PP (plastic No.5). Put holes into sides of both , and left the outer container with no holes at the bottom and holes only down to about an inch from the bottom (so can catch all contaminants). Will set up my copper processing cell and take some pics.

As always, the advise on here is great and varied (never one single way to do stuff). So happy to be part of this community.

Titanium mesh. It will develop a coating of titanium oxide preventing further attack from the acid.

Back