• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for SMB (Sodium Metabisulfite)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_axelsson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi!

I'm trying to get some SMB to process gold scrap that I have accumulated the last 20 years. I wanted to test to drop gold from solution with SMB but the only source I can find here in Sweden is small bags for wine making and 10 gram cost more than a pound in USA.

Is there anyone on the forum that knows where I could get it in Europe or willing to sell me 0.5 - 1 pound and send it to Sweden?

/Göran

Online home brew stores sell it cheap. I recommend Point Brew Supply in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. They have a great staff and all kinds of brew supplies that work well for refining. Also, top grade grains from the region and the world!

http://www.pointbrewsupply.com/index.php

Beer is made in every country. Just wandering why it would cost so much more in Sweden? I'll send you 20 pounds if you'll be my distributor for SMB in Sweden? :lol: I suggest you try and find another Swede online here at the forum and ask him personally.

This is wierd. SMB is some pretty elemental stuff. How is it cost effective to have it shipped from thousands of miles away? Especially in Europe. It seemed like things were really easy to find there... :D

I guess we're spoiled in the US with easy access to all the things you need to get through the day. Say what you will about the state of our government, at least Ya don't need a permission slip or suitcase of money to drop some gold!

Smitty, thank you for clarifying the geographic range of beer. Suddenly the world seems full of possibility!

Goran, you can also use sodium sulfite or Potassium metabisulfite to precipitate the gold.

good luck...

Smitty said:
Goran, you can also use sodium sulfite or Potassium metabisulfite to precipitate the gold.

good luck...

On that subject, copperas (ferrous sulfate) works as well as anything, and should be available in garden shops or other agricultural supply houses. It's easy to use, and should be inexpensive.

Should you decide to give it a try, make sure the crystals are light green in color, not brown. An ounce of crystal should precipitate an ounce of gold. Dissolve it in water, add a few drops of HCl until it clarifies. If it has any contaminants that remain solid, filter, then pour the solution in the filtered gold chloride. Instant precipitation.

Harold

Thanks to everyone that answered.

This is more or less for a test and I rather spend 14 dollars on postage for two pounds that probably will last me a long time than spending a day or more hunting down the chemicals here in Sweden and in the end probably pay 10 dollars in postage anyhow.
If the experiments works as I hope and I will get some yields then I might step up the scale and hunt down a local source of the chemicals I need.

There are a few sellers of wine and beer kits in town but they only sell tiny packages at 20 grams at 4-5 dollars each. If I want bigger lots I probably have to deal with some chemical distributor and they have their offices far away.

So far I'm only refining for fun, trying to recover gold, silver and other valuable metals from the scrap that I just happens to get my hands on. So cutting cost is not a big concern right now. I have already got an offer from a forum member to buy SMB from Canada. The postage for a kilo was only 50% higher than it would have been from any location in Sweden. :)

When I know how the SMB process works and have something to compare with, then I can move on to other alternative chemicals.

Harold, I'll try copperas some time. Right now it's winter here and it could be hard to find. The garden stores mostly caryy ice and snow handling equipment this time of year.

Thanks again, this is a great forum.

Back