Looking for someone to refine my computer scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbradbury

After reading a great deal on this forum and Hoke's book, I have come to the realization that I have neither the time nor patience required to delve into this exciting hobby! I have plated parts and CPU's and ceramic flatpacks from eight computers that my father gave me. I was hoping to surprise him with a little nugget that I could set in a ring and give to him as a gift. Would anyone on here with the necessary abilities be willing to refine my parts for a fee? I wish I had the time to learn but just have too many things going on right now. Thanks a lot!

Knowing your location would be helpful.Also what type,and volume of material that you have.

That would help...I'm in North Carolina. I'm at work now and haven't weighed the stuff yet so I'll have to post that later. Sorry for jumping the gun and posting too soon. Also, I realize that there might not be enough material to offset the cost of refining. That said, let me get some accurate amounts and repost. Thank you all.

wbradbury said:
Sorry for jumping the gun and posting too soon.
No worries,you didn't do anything wrong.There are quite a few members near you,although I can't speak for them.If you do not have very much,or it is not high grade,then you may consider selling it outright.

wbradbury said:
After reading a great deal on this forum and Hoke's book, I have come to the realization that I have neither the time nor patience required to delve into this exciting hobby! I have plated parts and CPU's and ceramic flatpacks from eight computers that my father gave me. I was hoping to surprise him with a little nugget that I could set in a ring and give to him as a gift. Would anyone on here with the necessary abilities be willing to refine my parts for a fee? I wish I had the time to learn but just have too many things going on right now. Thanks a lot!

i understand if you have a sentimental attachment to the metal in those particular computers.

however, if you just want to extract the $ value, one option is to sell to boardsort.com.

though, unless they are old (486) & loaded (lots of RAM etc.) you probably won't get $285, the approx. price of a 5 gram bar.

this is one commercial piece that came to mind - a 5 gram gold bar in a 14K bezel.

http://www.providentmetals.com/5-gram-perth-mint-australian-gold-bar-in-assay-card-9999-fine-bullion.html

http://www.apmex.com/Product/30531/14k_Gold_Plain_Front_Bezel_for_5_gram_Gold_Bar.aspx

30531_Obv.jpg

that there is a Pamp Suisse bar, the link is for a Perth Mint bar. both .9999 gold.

the power supplies and cases will also have a metal value to a good scrap metal dealer. by "good" i mean one who will give you 7 to 10 cents a pound for computer case variety of steel, and hopefully Christmas tree light rates for the ribbon cables etc.

one option is to dig in your heels a little bit and acquire another 12 computers. 20 computers will have that much more precious metal value.

one other option is to "go halves" with a local refiner. learn the process from them as part of your compensation. good old-fashioned hands-on education.

If you can provide pictures or full description of what you have, it is possible for any of us to give you a sort of 'educated guess' figure that you might expect from selling the boards, etc. to someone.

From my quick figures of 'what it might be', total is from ~$26.5 (low side) to ~$45 ('average' high side as it is not likely you have top rated chips....), though could go to $200+, if you have the right cpus.

Latest posts

Back