lye to strip solder mask

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ettran

hi,i have been stripping soldermask from soundblaster cards with lye .tried to do some green boards from other stuff and masking either wrinkels up or never moves.anyone else have this problem ? ed

ettran said:
hi,i have been stripping soldermask from soundblaster cards with lye .tried to do some green boards from other stuff and masking either wrinkels up or never moves.anyone else have this problem ? ed

I do not have any direct links to the threads i read about this, but i can relay what I remember.

There are a few types of solder mask that in your lye solution will completely gum-up the works. It is best to keep them out once you know what kind exactly.

Another type of solder mask is very thick and heavy duty, and i *believe* a stronger lye solution was required to get it off, as well as multiple 30 minute soaks, where the boards were left out to dry before further lye treatment.

I have also read where having an improper mix/temp could either dissolve the gold, or cover it up with base metals (it was being discussed which, i didnt pursue further information on it because lye=bad stuff)

Okay, lye isnt THAT bad...BUT, its pretty dangerous... ONE drop and you can go blind?....Yeah, i will pass on that one!

I do recall a thread post from a guy where he either worked for or with a PCB company, and he was curious how we were getting off the mask (it was a different type of board or soldermask) because it was so resistant to very corrosive environments... Again, i didnt take great note, or try to commit it to memory, because there are some things i just wont mess with... Lye is one of them (yes i have an use it in my lab for some things, but bringing it to a boil/high heat... Yeah, that's dancing with the devil, and i have some clumsy feet...)

Sorry i cant be of great assistance, but, i know some.of the guys here are much more versed in this practice.

-topher, the non-lyer

Lazersteve made a video detailing the process of using NaOH to strip solder mask. There are other masks that are inert in NaOH, such as Parylene - so test a small sample before going all out. Parylene is almost like epoxy - tough and VERY hard to remove. HP and most military avionics used parylene to some degree.

Cheers,

Findm-Keepm said:
Lazersteve made a video detailing the process of using NaOH to strip solder mask. There are other masks that are inert in NaOH, such as Parylene - so test a small sample before going all out. Parylene is almost like epoxy - tough and VERY hard to remove. HP and most military avionics used parylene to some degree.

Cheers,

There it is!

Thank you!-i could NOT remember/find what it was or what thread it was in. I was going to lose sleep over it! :lol:

Yes, I'm that pathetic :mrgreen:

-toph

Latest posts

Back