Magnet draws toward but doesn't stick?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which African meteorite?
There must literally be thousands of them.
AJ posted a pic of a meteorite which wasn't theirs, as an example of one they've been comparing to their unknown specimen. I think this is some more info about it: https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/lm_nwa_02200/

We don't usually get asks about meteorites, neat thread! I know nothing about them other than they sure do look pretty when arriving.

AJ posted a pic of a meteorite which wasn't theirs, as an example of one they've been comparing to their unknown specimen. I think this is some more info about it: https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/lm_nwa_02200/

We don't usually get asks about meteorites, neat thread! I know nothing about them other than they sure do look pretty when arriving.
Aah I see it now.
I stopped reading when he started ranting about bribing the Pope.
The determination comes from comparison between known specimens. (Lunar rocks or similar)

I'm wondering who identified that African meteorite and upon what evidence that determination was made.
Ask Google to show you images of meteorites. Then scroll through the two or 3,000 of them have on there and you'll find the ones I'm talking about they're from Africa I took that image off the internet. Now I have a question, how long you been a hater?

Ask Google to show you images of meteorites. Then scroll through the two or 3,000 of them have on there and you'll find the ones I'm talking about they're from Africa I took that image off the internet. Now I have a question, how long you been a hater?
Lighten up mate.
Disagreement is not hate!

And I would think most in here would wish you have a meteorite,
but at the same time there is nothing so far indicating anything other than you have a common river rock.
Get it tested, if you have a meteorite you might be able to sell it for some decent money, if not it can be used in your garden.

Which African meteorite?
There must literally be thousands of them.
County center okay .I just got out of the hospital and I don't have a lot of time for messing around I'm not feeling well sorry about that I'll get back to you if I get home

If I had the cash for all that testing and whatnot, I probably wouldn't be trying to find out here. I'll take it to the college and let them test it or whatever they have to do to it. Just thought maybe somebody here would be able to eyeball it. Thanks again.
The meteorite men tv show took their finds to a meteor center. They are actually interested in all candidates to map the finding places and to analyse. Then you have an answer and they have data for known or new strewn fields.
Who gets to keep the rock if tested positive could influence the costs for testing.

The meteorite men tv show took their finds to a meteor center. They are actually interested in all candidates to map the finding places and to analyse. Then you have an answer and they have data for known or new strewn fields.
Who gets to keep the rock if tested positive could influence the costs for testing.
I don't personally get the meteorite man on television, but I'm interested in getting the thing tested for sure. Buddy up at the University said if I wanted to donate it to the university could get it done for free real quick, if not then? About the same story it sounds like with the TV meteorite show. But not knowing is killing me. If you could give me a link to get a hold of them somehow I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

I don't personally get the meteorite man on television, but I'm interested in getting the thing tested for sure. Buddy up at the University said if I wanted to donate it to the university could get it done for free real quick, if not then? About the same story it sounds like with the TV meteorite show. But not knowing is killing me. If you could give me a link to get a hold of them somehow I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
https://www.clemson.edu/public/geom... a chemical,it streaks through our atmosphere.

A lot of info about testing and recognizing a meteorite.

I have no adress to send it to. I Googled this.

I'm no expert on meteorites. I have a few. One distinguishing feature is that meteorites generally have fusion crusts - the outer surface has fused/melted and been shaped by airflow.

I've found rocks with a surface texture similar to the waviness of fusion crusts in dry parts of the world - US deserts and recent trip to Patagonia - (Did find some neat things - fun trip - 3 weeks is not near enough time for a rockhound in Patagonia) However, the wavy texture of these desert rocks is 'finer' grained than the somewhat more thumb size wave seen on fusion crusts. Otherwise, the outer appearance is a bit touch and visually similar in smoothness and polish to meteorites. Break one though and there is no fusion crust. I think the waviness and polish comes from long exposure to blowing sand. Your pictures give me the impression your rocks are more likely of this type than meteorites.

"More likely" - not certainly. Show your rock to an expert. Whatever he says your rock is, be interested in the 'why' of how he decides - not the excitement or disappointment of what he decides.

I like that. It could easily apply to many other things as well.
Thank you to all who reply to this thread. I appreciate all the input I really do. I'm thinking it's better to have it right there in your hand to look at clothes so you can answer all these questions. But from what everybody's put into it, right now I'm not able to put up the money for the testing but I can take it to people that are more familiar with it than I for sure, the same people that I'd asked about it before what am I looking for what are the characteristics what not. Some of which have already been verified. Thanks for all the replies it's been really helpful.

Look for a local gem and mineral/rockhound group or show. While it may not be their specialty, there are often members who are also interested in meteorites, and they'll certainly be familiar with the local rocks found in your region. Rockhounds are very helpful people, and you'll probably get some help at no charge, just because they love to talk about rocks!

Dave

Look for a local gem and mineral/rockhound group or show. While it may not be their specialty, there are often members who are also interested in meteorites, and they'll certainly be familiar with the local rocks found in your region. Rockhounds are very helpful people, and you'll probably get some help at no charge, just because they love to talk about rocks!

Dave
Yeah I really screwed up when I started cleaning that thing up when I got it. But live and learn? I wasn't sure what I was looking at and I couldn't see the surface of it when I first got it, so I take the cleaning it up myself and this is where I'm at. Most of the samples of things that I get are so black and covered with dead scum and whatnot from water and exposure to different things that I really take cleaning them up first so I can see what I'm looking at probably shouldn't do that? Anyway at this point analysis is the only way that it's going to solve the argument. So I'll put it on the shelf until I get the money to do it. Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah I really screwed up when I started cleaning that thing up when I got it. But live and learn? I wasn't sure what I was looking at and I couldn't see the surface of it when I first got it, so I take the cleaning it up myself and this is where I'm at. Most of the samples of things that I get are so black and covered with dead scum and whatnot from water and exposure to different things that I really take cleaning them up first so I can see what I'm looking at probably shouldn't do that? Anyway at this point analysis is the only way that it's going to solve the argument. So I'll put it on the shelf until I get the money to do it. Thanks again for all the help.
http://www.meteorlab.com/
Spend the time to educate yourself on this site that Kurt posted. I have a few samples to send them. $30 and postage will give you the answer, plus you get your sample returned.

http://www.meteorlab.com/
Spend the time to educate yourself on this site that Kurt posted. I have a few samples to send them. $30 and postage will give you the answer, plus you get your sample returned.
I did, and I'm trying to get some $$$'s so I can pony up a membership donation. 30 bucks you say, my trolley just got to the station and so I'll get this when I get home thanks

Back