magnetic material from ram chips and other chips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i have many kilos of magnetic pins and other materials from the separation with magnets of ram chips and other types of chips containing iron and nickel inside it----
i know that attached to these material ,there are some au,pd and ag----i need some advise and help on how to obtain the pms from these magnetic material---
any help would be welcome ,
regards.
Arthur

Arthur,
i have made a miny stock pot and put my pins in to see if it will be worth it. i think Harold used that method. it is basicaly the same as cementing value in the stock pot with iron but this time you double dip by leaching the base metal at the same time.
i just started mine last week and it is nowhere finish but on the long run i guess it will work...

Hmm... I've got some magnetic stuff; wires and little sheets separated from some chips I milled up, and the stuff is pretty resistant to acid.
I'm interested to hear some more about how people deal with this stuff. Have you tried cyanide on it Arthur? It might get the gold and the silver.
Besides that, maybe a electrolytic parting cell would help dissolve it?

Skippy-----i found a way that worked very well-------i took about 100grams of this magnetic material and placed it in a becker of 2liters ----i covered this material with a h2so4 solution(20% by volume)---in the first moment no reaction-----then i added drops of nitric acid and a violent reaction began---one must add drop by drop of nitric to avoid the solution to boil over---when the reaction calms down,one continue to add nitric until all the iron dissolves------after this,you filter the solution and in the filter paper you have the gold----take this gold and refine with ar or hcl-cl---
from this 100grams i obtained 0,27grams of gold-------it yealded 2,7grams of gold per kilo

thanks and regards
Arthur

Hmm... Did it end up using lots of nitric or does it just take small amounts to keep the sulfuric dissolving it?
The gratitude is all mine (ours) - thanks Arthur.

When you say a solution 20% of h2so4 thats 20% h2so4(98% conc) and 80% water, just want to make sure for those wanting to recreate this experiment. And I could be way of base here but theoretically the addition of the Nitric would also dissolve the possible Ag/Pd that may be present. Would this occur and if so would it stay in suspension with the sulfuric or precipitate out as a powder? Has anyone else tried this? I do believe this will create Nitrogen Monoxide which will rapidly turn into NO2 in the air so remember to always be safe and never breath in any fumes.

Vyper, yes 80%h2o--20%h2so4(98%)-------the silver and pd ,obviously if present,will be in the dissolved magnetic solution (sulfuric_nitric)------one adds nacl ,for agcl,filter and then goes after the pd.----- one can do a stanous test(but my test gave a false positive because excess of fe in solution)--
i asked for help in this thread and the answer that i got was to use hcl, and that would take a long time to dissolve the iron--as Skippy said ,it is very hard to dissolve this iron----so i did this experiment using h2so4--nitric- with good results----i use the sulfuric solution because nitric alone passivates the iron and stops the dissolution process----as for the nox formation,i do this process in my fumes hood-----
Arthur

Skippy, small amounts of nitric--just to revive the sulfuric dissolution-----i used no more then 50cc of nitric(drops of 5to 10ccs)----if this did not worked,i would go after cianide(as you mentioned in your thread)
thanks for asking and regards
Arthur

Definitely a great idea Art when Im to that point I may try this method as well. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back