Making silicone metal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking to make silicon metal from silica sand. Any one try it?
Silicone is not a metal but a semi conductor.
And it has been done for a long time industrially, probably not feasible for hobby sized ventures.

Silicon is a metalloid. It has some properties of metals, and some properties of non-metals. Do a little digging, and you should be able to find a plethora of information.

Time for more coffee.

looking to make silicon metal from silica sand. Any one try it?
You ask some strange questions! Have you noticed this is a gold refining forum? What do you hope to do with the silica? Use it as a collector in flux? I think the best you can do is use alumina. It does not melt well and it requires cryolite to dissolve it in a melt. Plus the cryolite eats crucibles. What is your reasoning?

You ask some strange questions! Have you noticed this is a gold refining forum? What do you hope to do with the silica? Use it as a collector in flux? I think the best you can do is use alumina. It does not melt well and it requires cryolite to dissolve it in a melt. Plus the cryolite eats crucibles. What is your reasoning?
I know its a forum for other things, but question relates to this.

Not actually using it as collecter. its required for some additional properties in iron melt.

Strange questions: There's a wealth of knowledge and curiosity here. Seems natural for some participants to break the tight bounds. I wonder if there might be some decision tree, or other means, to help direct out-of-bounds questions to appropriate forums.

I know its a forum for other things, but question relates to this.

Not actually using it as collecter. its required for some additional properties in iron melt.
If you need it for something buy it it should be relatively cheap, as long as you are not looking for wafer quality material.

If you need it for something buy it it should be relatively cheap, as long as you are not looking for wafer quality material.
Its first choice to use si for some pgm reduction.

It has also other uses in market. And its imported from other countries.

So looking for an idea to see if banificiler also or not to produce locally

Back