Math help for lye solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeneje

I have a 80 gallon tank i want to use to hold a 8% lye solution in. How much caustic would i need to use per gallon of water. Are there a math equation for this, i have looked and cannot find the infor i need. Can someone point me in the right direction please.
Thank you
Ken

By weight or by volume? this may help, you can find many tutorials covering this subject so if you do not understand how one author says it you can find another who say's it so you get it.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Wine/Resources/preparingstandardsodiumhydroxidesolution.htm

Making up caustic soda (NaOH) solutions can be quite dangerous, especially in large quantities. The dissolving generates heat and there is also a danger of splashing it on you while stirring, etc. I hope you know what you're doing, If you don't, ask before you do it.

Once you get the hang of it, about the simplest and most accurate calculation method is to use a chart like this.
http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/naohtble3.cgi?submit=Entry

On the chart, find the specific gravity of 8% NaOH at some temperature. I usually use 20C because it's close to room temp. On the chart, at 20C, 8% NaOH has a S.G. of 1.0869 g/ml. Therefore, 1 liter (1000 ml) of this would weigh 1000 x 1.0869 = 1086.9 g.

I assume you want 8%, by weight (w/w). Therefore, to make up 1 liter of 8%, you need 1086.9 x .08 = 86.95 g of NaOH.

To convert 80 gal to liters, multiply by 3.785. This gives 302.8 liters. Therefore, you need 302.8 x 86.95 = 26,328 g of NaOH. Convert this to pounds by dividing by 454. Therefore, you need 58 pounds of NaOH to make up 80 gallons of an 8% NaOH solution or, 0.725 pounds per gallon.

When making this up, first dissolve the caustic in about 70 gallons of water. After it is dissolved and cooled down, bring the volume up to 80 gal with water. Don't start with 80 gal of water, or you will find that the final percentage is less than 8%.

Thanks everybody for the help and links, I am now a little un-easy about using this to scrubb my fumes. Are there any other solutions for HNO3? That i could use.
Thanks
Ken

Latest posts

Back