Math help!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AztekShine

I'm trying to figure out how to work a percentage. I'm diecent at math but am having a hard time with this for some reason. Ok...

28oz is what percent of 2000lb?

Then I want to take that percent and figure how many grams will be in a pound.

I think lack of sleep may be hindering my math skills.

AztekShine said:
28oz is what percent of 2000lb?

Which oz are we using? troy or imperial?

I'm not sure if the American lb is the same as the English, but, we have 454 grams / lb

edited to supply more information

If we are using imperial oz then 28 oz is 0.0875% of 2000lb (16 oz to the lb)

Either will suffice but I was shooting for Troy.

It's the conversion from that percentage to grams in a pound.

Let's say their is 28oz of copper to a ton. How many grams to a pound would that be?

how many imperial pounds to a troy ton? 1 troy ton = 2,450 troy lb.; 1 troy lb. = 5760 grams; 5,760 grams = 12.69862630185 pounds. Multiply 12.698...*2,450 = 31,111.6344395325. So rounded up to the nearest 10th 1 troy ton is equal to 31,111.6 lbs

so if your try to convert troy weight to imperial weights, theres alot more to it.

The last part of the problem and the most important is Takeing the figure of 28oz to a ton. And figuring it to if one was to work with only a lb of that ore how many grams would be in a lb.

I understand it up to this point. It's at the conversion I am hitting a road block.

Go to Convert-me.com, and click on "Mass and Weight Conversion." Then put a "1" in the "short ton" box, under "Avoirdupois." All the boxes, in all the categories will automatically fill in. Look in the Metric section for the grams amount, or the Troy section for the Toz amount.

AztekShine said:
The last part of the problem and the most important is Takeing the figure of 28oz to a ton. And figuring it to if one was to work with only a lb of that ore how many grams would be in a lb.

I understand it up to this point. It's at the conversion I am hitting a road block.

If you are using the US standard, and it sounds like it because you refer to 2000lbs as being a ton, then try this.

2000 lbs x 16 (there are 16 ounces to a lb, not troy ounces, the US Standard ounce) or if you want troy ounces it would be 2000 x 14.583, I only carried the decimal 3 places otherwise I could go on forever with threes. Now you have a comparison of ounces to ounces. Because we deal with Troy Ounces in regard to precious metals I am going to use Troy for this example. Here you go.

2000 x 14.583 = 29166 troy ounces to an US standard Ton. Make sure you are not talking about a troy or metric ton. Also, 2000 is a rounded number, I am using your figures and what I believe you are trying to achieve, but do the math yourself and look up the conversions for exactly what you are trying to do.

So now you have 29,166 troy ounces against your 28 ounces. To figure out the percentage just divide 28 / 29,166 which would be .00096002194 I believe, unless my math is seriously flawed somewhere. But again, make sure you check the correct conversions for the measurements you are looking for. So in a ton, the percentage would be the end number above. ..0096002194% The percentage should be the same for a ton, or a lb, unless the 28 ounces of material accumulates more in one area, than another, but I don't believe that is what you are concerned about. In other words, if you took out a lb, out of the ton, it would be the same percentage as the ton. Once you have matching values it's really easy to figure percentage.

Just make sure you have the correct conversions for the weights you are talking about. Your end result may be very different from mine if you are not using the same conversion calculations.

Ok When I check my math it's off.

16x28x.0096=4.3008x2000 this is where I'm checking it weeny because its obviously not 2000.
That's where ive been mucking it up.

:evil:

Edit...weeny? Lol

Sorry for the confusion everyone was right on the mark except me. Construction in my apt. Building as I was going to sleep made it hard for me to think much less sleep!

I want to thank everyone for perticipateing in my retarded math session :lol: :oops:

There are 14.58 tr oz in a standard US avoirdupois pound.

There are 2000 avoirdupois pounds in a standard US avoirdupois ton.

Therefore, there are 14.58 x 2000 = 29,166 tr oz in a ton.

Divide 28 by 29,166 = .00096. This is called the decimal equivalent of this ratio.

There are 454 grams in a pound.

Therefore, to determine grams per pound, multiply 454 x .00096 (the decimal equivalent) = 0.43 grams per pound of this material.

Note: To see what percentage this is, multiply .00096 x 100 = .096%. However, since it's more complicated to work in percentages, it's easier to use the decimal equivalent, .00096, in the calculation, as I did above.

Ok I see where I was messing up!
Trying to check it to a ton when I was working the percentage to a pound... Funny what a good nights sleep will do.

Latest posts

Back