Mathematical questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acpeacemaker

Hey All,

This site claims there is 19.30 density/grams of AU per ml/cc. If this is correct there is 289.5 per 15 ml/cc's equaling 1 tablespoon. I was curious if there is a way I can use this on powder that has been cemented down by water. Or how I figure out how much dry powder one tablespoon would weigh? I hope this isn't dumbo questions.
http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/125Adensitygold.html
Thanks-Andrew

Gold powder wouldn't have the same density as melted gold, ie the particles of gold powder would be further apart than the molecules of gold in a melted solid mass.
As we all see when melting gold powder, the button always comes out smaller than the pile of powder we are melting.
The only way I can see to work out the weight of gold powder in a 15ml tablespoon full of gold powder is to weigh a 15ml sample.

I actually was thinking along the same lines as you but my scale is broke. I have 9 tablespoon's that have been left under water for the past two weeks. So I was wondering if there was a way to guestimate? I know water wet and dry would play a big variable as well as melted. Another variable would might be hard or soft water and this was distilled.

Thank you,
Andrew

Hey Lino,

The only real purpose I had was to try and come up with a ballpark of how much was saved in this one beaker. I am sure there are to many factors that come in play now. I would just melt it and take it down the street to borrow a goldbuyer's scale, but someone stole my torch while I was out of state.

Thanks,
Andrew

I see no way to make a guess. I have seen the bulk density of gold powder range from about 4g/cc to about 12g/cc, or more. And, it will most probably be different every time you make it.

kuma said:
acpeacemaker said:
I would just melt it and take it down the street to borrow a goldbuyer's scale, but someone stole my torch while I was out of state.
:x
Supposedly there is a garage thief floating around our neighborhood because I'm not the only one. I might have to try Mapp, because that's all I can afford for the moment due to all my other money issues with moving.

Hi Peacemaker , how are tricks?
I hope your all well!
acpeacemaker said:
kuma said:
acpeacemaker said:
I would just melt it and take it down the street to borrow a goldbuyer's scale, but someone stole my torch while I was out of state.
:x
Supposedly there is a garage thief floating around our neighborhood because I'm not the only one. I might have to try Mapp, because that's all I can afford for the moment due to all my other money issues with moving.
Pfffft , we have the same thing happening over here sometimes , usualy around Christmas/Thanksgiving , I take pleasure in the knowledge that karma's an ass , 8)
Could you not get a couple of identical small zip-lock baggies , weigh one and make a note , weigh the other with the gold powder inside , then subtract the weight of the empty baggie from the total weight of the baggie with the gold powder inside?
This should give you a ball park awnser , just a thought chief , :roll:
Sorry to hear about your torch getting pinched , that's just low man , :x
All the best with it , and kind regards ,
Chris :mrgreen:

Thanks Kuma, for some reason I kept thinking about the dust being stuck to the sides a corners of a bag. But could just easily be sprayed out and dried again I suppose. I just noticed a little earlier I have a fairly large jar of smb gone. Geez, someone thought maybe they were going to be riding a white pony or something lol.

Hi Peacemaker , how are tricks?
I hope your well!
acpeacemaker said:
Thanks Kuma, for some reason I kept thinking about the dust being stuck to the sides a corners of a bag. But could just easily be sprayed out and dried again I suppose.
For sure chief , if your super keen on getting a figure on the weight of your gold powder and you tried this , and if the worst comes to worst with powder getting stuck in your baggie , you could just incinerate and recover anyway , 8)
It is a little more work I suppose , but you'll get your ball park figure.
acpeacemaker said:
I just noticed a little earlier I have a fairly large jar of smb gone. Geez, someone thought maybe they were going to be riding a white pony or something lol.
:lol:
All the best with it chief , and kind regards ,
Chris :mrgreen:

hello
hope everyone is good in the head today

don't know if this will help
but like goldsilverpro said it seems to always be different

I have 3 pepsi bottles each with 1 to 3 grams of gold powder
i believe from appearance each one has a different desity
they all clump together differently when the water is pulled away
in one, the cleanest it seems almost to suspend a lot (not sinking but not floating)
where as in another it seems to drop like a rock
i hope my 1 cents helps
steyr223

Try this sometime. After dissolving gold in AR, split the solution, equally, into 2 clean containers. Drop the gold in each and then rinse, etc. If the 2 piles don't look at least slightly different, I'll be surprised.

Thank you GSP, I'll give that little experiment when I set my shop back up in my new home. Which I hope will be very soon.

Andrew

goldsilverpro said:
Try this sometime. After dissolving gold in AR, split the solution, equally, into 2 clean containers. Drop the gold in each and then rinse, etc. If the 2 piles don't look at least slightly different, I'll be surprised.

Yes yes same everything and still they come out different
Kuma
What I mentioned was happy, as we get older depression seems to set along with other ....
Maybe I should say right in the head.
thanks steyr223

Latest posts

Back