melting foils

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8619greg

after boiling gold pins in HCL I filtered foils. Can I melt foils with filter paper and get pure gold?

yes you can, try not to for cleaner gold.

you may want to use a flux to get rid of the filter paper ash, or use the least paper you can.

I use ashless filter papers when I want to melt with paper.
They are also good for quantitive test's.
They are a bit expensive but I only use one now and again

if you want to take a short cut and produce 20-22K gold, then yes you can do this. if you want 99+%, then you will have to twice refine the gold. you will get a lot less for your gold if it is not pure because of the costs for the buyer to have it processed/purified.

mls26cwru said:
if you want to take a short cut and produce 20-22K gold, then yes you can do this. if you want 99+%, then you will have to twice refine the gold. you will get a lot less for your gold if it is not pure because of the costs for the buyer to have it processed/purified.
what would be the best twice/refine method?

No. The foils will absolutely not be pure and you're not going to make them pure by melting them. Most gold plating (except for the pure gold plating on some IC's) contains about 0.1% to 1.0% (0.3%, on average) cobalt or nickel, in order to harden the gold for better wear resistance. Therefore, the purity will probably be about 99.7%, way below the 99.95% purity required for pure gold. Also, most people don't totally remove the nickel plating (and maybe some copper) attached to the bottom of the gold foils and this will further contaminate the gold. If you want pure gold, you'll have to dissolve the foils in aqua regia or HCl + bleach and go through the procedure that's been written up a jillion times on the forum. Also, it's easier and faster to dissolve the foils before you melt them.

8619greg said:
after boiling gold pins in HCL I filtered foils. Can I melt foils with filter paper and get pure gold?

Also,
When you have your Gold dissolved in whatever AR method you choose, don't forget to add several drops of sulphuric acid to the mix & stir it "before final" filtering, you will be surprised how much zinc/lead crap will stay in the filter after adding it. Really cleans up the AR nicely. It does take 2 drops to get it right & the second drop using the powder is so easy and fast. The first drop is the slowest process. Exercise patience in Hcl boils & water rinses between drops, allow for settling etc...its worth the time.

Dave

and always test your Hcl boils with stannus chloride. for good mesure.

i use 3 Hcl boils, pour all 3 into a small beaker or baby food jar and test, all the remaining hcl goes into the "reuse" jar

recycle everything you can.

and always test your Hcl boils with stannus chloride. for good mesure.

i use 3 Hcl boils, pour all 3 into a small beaker or baby food jar and test, all the remaining hcl goes into the "reuse" jar

recycle everything you can.
Hi,

How do we know for sure whether the acid is reusable or contaminated enough for the stockpot?

I may need a little bit more clarification with this. a visual on this would be better, tried youtubing it, couldn't find anything relevant. Thanks
Have you done the acquaintance testing in Hokes book?
If not, do it.

Or take a sample of iron, aluminum and Tin.
Put each of them in a test tube and add HCl, observe and write down what you see.
When the reaction stops, note it and add more metal.
In the end you will find a point where no more reaction happens to the metal, now the HCl is either depleted or saturated.

For Cupric Chloride etching the air bubbling will keep it rejuvenated until there are no more fresh Chloride ions available.
Just add more HCl and you are running again.

take a sample of iron, aluminum and Tin.
Put each of them in a test tube and add HCl, observe and write down what you see.
When the reaction stops, note it and add more metal.
In the end you will find a point where no more reaction happens to the metal, now the HCl is either depleted or saturated.
I may need a proper lab setup for this.. don't think it'll be possible in my front yard.. let me see what other options I have of carrying this out. Certainly seems informative and helpful.

Latest posts

Back