Melting question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaelrulaz

Hey Guys,

I am very knew to this and i am trying to figure out the best way to remove the gold and/or copper from the EWaste.

Currently I have experience using a small fire pit lined with fire bricks and filled with charcoal to melt aluminum in a crucible for other projects. Using a large hairdryer i pump air into the charcoal to achieve the higher heat. I have also used acetylene torches to achieve heat.

My question is should i just buy a large crucible and melt only the plastic and pic up the remaining metal or should i melt both the gold and plastic? If so where would i find the gold in the nasty melted plastic mess or how would i separate them?

You should study this forum until it sinks in, what to do before you do it.
Safety should be your first concern.

Jim

That sounds like a really bad plan. You'd make a lot of smoke and end up with a real mess. I'd try to keep as much plastic as possible out of the melt.

You should try to separate your materials and then process them (probably using acids) to get rid of the base metals before dissolving your gold.

All the information is here but you have to read and search for it. A good place to start is Lazersteve's guided tour link.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=6873#6873

I can't imagine how big your plastic...
If your plastic is really big...i think make small it, melt with low temp, press it or make it small...and reburn to furnace...hopely u can find that gold...

Sorry iam a newbie...

Regards

Joel

Joel, I am pretty new here as well, but I have at least learned that one should not try to process whole boards through incineration, at least not at the hobby level. Instead a hobbyist should pick items off of boards that have the most value and process these (fingers, some components, and pins are good examples). Processes can be found throughout the forum on multiple threads that can be found simply using the search button.

Michaelrulaz, burning these plastics that you speak of (I’m assuming circuit boards) can be very hazardous to your health, your neighbors health, and very bad for the environment. What you should do is read more before anything, read Hokes book, read post on the forum by our more reputable members, and when you are done, read more.
Maybe Frugalrefiner can jump on here and post his nice paragraph that contains all the useful links. Thanks Dave.

CJ (two more months and it’s time! :D :D )

Latest posts

Back