Melting silver oxide, orange flame?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartbar

Supporting Member
When melting silver oxide in glazed fused silica dish, with a torch, I pour into graphite 2oz molds.
The flame on torch turns orange after first batch, any idea why this happens?

When melting silver oxide in glazed fused silica dish, with a torch, I pour into graphite 2oz molds.
The flame on torch turns orange after first batch, any idea why this happens?
I suspect CrystAG is correct.
How did you get the Silver Oxide?
Conversion with NaOH?
Maybe some of the NaOH is still in there?

Original material is sterling. I cemented off copper, thorough rinsing with distilled water.
After about 30 rinses, waste water was neutral PH, no copper present when checking with ammonia.
The resulting silver round from ingot is .9999 Silver on sigma machine. Orange flame just confuses me.

Original material is sterling. I cemented off copper, thorough rinsing with distilled water.
After about 30 rinses, waste water was neutral PH, no copper present when checking with ammonia.
The resulting silver round from ingot is .9999 Silver on sigma machine. Orange flame just confuses me.
Then it is Silver not Silver Oxide.
Silver Oxide forms when Silver Chloride reacts with NaOH to a black powder, Silver Oxide.

Did you use Borax as flux, or to glaze the crucible? It is sodium tetraborate (sodium, boron and oxygen). If you got some on the torch tip, that may be your culprit.

Did you use Borax as flux, or to glaze the crucible? It is sodium tetraborate (sodium, boron and oxygen). If you got some on the torch tip, that may be your culprit.
Yup. That can be it. And also impurities in gas or oxygen. Or low oxygen - if this is the case, flame will probably soot or refuse to melt the metal - low efficacy of combustion.

Latest posts

Back