Funny how mistakes can make us grow

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anachronism

Supporting Member
Here's a weird one. I had around 50 ceramic processors that were still in the board in small cut out squares. They've been hanging around for a few years so I thought I's crack on and deal with them.

The thorny issue was how to get them out of the board so I thought I'd put one in HCl to dissolve the solder in the hope that the chip would then come free out of the holes.

Then in typical lab rat style I parked the jar in the corner of the fume cabinet and forgot about of for a few weeks whilst I got on with other things. Roll on to last night and I noticed the liquid had turned a green colour and not just the solder but the pins too. Further to that, the plating had come away from the tungsten heat spreader. I've included a pic below however it looks as though my HCl addition turned itself into a Copper Chloride leach....

Isn't it great when we discover things by accident?

Needless to say the other 50 are now in HCl and being forgotten about as we speak.... ;)

Attachments

• image_2024-09-09_092258634.png
    image_2024-09-09_092258634.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Here's a weird one. I had around 50 ceramic processors that were still in the board in small cut out squares. They've been hanging around for a few years so I thought I's crack on and deal with them.

The thorny issue was how to get them out of the board so I thought I'd put one in HCl to dissolve the solder in the hope that the chip would then come free out of the holes.

Then in typical lab rat style I parked the jar in the corner of the fume cabinet and forgot about of for a few weeks whilst I got on with other things. Roll on to last night and I noticed the liquid had turned a green colour and not just the solder but the pins too. Further to that, the plating had come away from the tungsten heat spreader. I've included a pic below however it looks as though my HCl addition turned itself into a Copper Chloride leach....

Needless to say the other 50 are now in HCl and being forgotten about as we speak.... ;)
Hmm, might it be just the Nickel layer that has dissolved?

I love these set it and forget it processes ;)

Latest posts

Back