Melting this gold. Super frustrated.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay.... any of you guys that have ever tried to melt with only MAPP should be able to recognize this guys frustration. Where some of you get off insulting him is beyond me and completely asinine. How and why does anachronism continues to get away with these blatant insults? This kind of behavior is self-destructive to this forum!

In regards to the original post:
MAPP gas alone burns at 3650F.... WITH oxygen, it will burn at about 5300F. While Scrapman's reply was limited, he is correct... I use an oxygen/propane mixture and melted 8+ ounces with no problem within 5 minutes. While some of us may take it for granted as common knowledge, oxy/propane (or oxy/acetylene) torches actually combine pure oxygen with the hydrocarbon fuel through two separate fuel lines. The resulting flame is much hotter than the hydrocarbon fuel alone. Some torches combine air through a mixing chamber, but this is not the same as using pure oxygen.

In addition, one thing that I didn't see in your explanation and could be VERY important was that there was no mention of insulating your crucible. It might not seem important since its 'under the flame', but it WILL make the difference between being able to melt and ounce with MAPP gas or standing over a blazing hot crucible for 45 minutes and cussing up a storm (been there, done that, went out and bought an oxy/propane torch the next day). If you consider that gold is an extremely good conductor of heat, then it should make sense why insulating the crucible is even more important.

Hopefully this is helpful in pointing you where you need to go.

Oh, and do be careful with the profanity regardless of how frustrated you are. We have all been there, but the rules are the rules.

hey, thanks for the level headed response to the frustrated worm2. we havent been able to fully melt our refractory origin, but roasted, aqua regia-ed and precipitated gold dust which is beautifully purple red brown...
I totally understand how someone could come from a totally impossible task to ask the only folks that might answer, what am I doing wrong? (while thinking, Nothing!!! Im doing it right, whats wrong?!?!?!?)
and be cussing up a storm.

i understand exactly how he felt and what he meant.

This might be my first post...

I have everything to learn.

However, when it comes to empathy and understanding, I might have one up on some of the best gold heads on here.

Guess Im saying, if you get whats being asked, try to be tolerant of the feelings of someone humble enough to ask when they dont get it. That alone, willingness to ask, is a good trait one should encourage. Its better not to discourage by making someone feel wrong 'cause of the way they asked.
Said from a motherly teacher of young ones virwpoint.

peace love and gold.

Dia

hey, thanks for the level headed response to the frustrated worm2. we havent been able to fully melt our refractory origin, but roasted, aqua regia-ed and precipitated gold dust which is beautifully purple red brown...
I totally understand how someone could come from a totally impossible task to ask the only folks that might answer, what am I doing wrong? (while thinking, Nothing!!! Im doing it right, whats wrong?!?!?!?)
and be cussing up a storm.

i understand exactly how he felt and what he meant.

This might be my first post...

I have everything to learn.

However, when it comes to empathy and understanding, I might have one up on some of the best gold heads on here.

Guess Im saying, if you get whats being asked, try to be tolerant of the feelings of someone humble enough to ask when they dont get it. That alone, willingness to ask, is a good trait one should encourage. Its better not to discourage by making someone feel wrong 'cause of the way they asked.
Said from a motherly teacher of young ones virwpoint.

peace love and gold.

Dia
Welcome to us.
We ask for our new members to do three things before they start mixing up for them unknown concoctions that can kill them.

1 Read C.M Hokes book refining jewelers scrap. Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2 Read the safety section of the forum
3 Read the dealing with waste section of the forum

And as to your post, in our settings Empathy can kill or injure, but we try to be to the point and open.
We need to tell people what they need to hear not what they want to hear.
We are dealing with potential deadly/dangerous situations here

So if people are met with harsh/abrasive replies it is because they are:
Heading into danger, skipped the reading, do not listen to advice or similar things.

From time to time we bite harder than intended, due to overload of these things, scammers, spammers and such.
If we do, we try to apologize and move on.

Remember we do this on our free time for free.

Back