metal of p4 tops?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ComputerHoarder

anyone know what the metal tops on Pentium 4s are made of? i know its not PM but it would help in the scarping process :)

found the answer to my own question :D The heat spreader is there to protect the fragile core from chipping. It also acts like it's name implies, a heat spreader. Have you ever seen an aluminum cooler with a copper plate on the bottom? Guess what the heat spreader is made of-again. Copper. It's plated with a soft silvery metal which I believe to be tin, based on it's softness and shine.

According to Intel (from a link I found on this forum somewhere, and can't find right now), they are nickel plated copper.

My question is: I will likely have a stack of these soon (the P4s were really cheap), and I was wondering what people are doing for disposal/recycling/selling these lids. Being primarily copper, they can't be totally worthless. Is this a "toss em in a box to bring to a scrap yard" type of thing, or is there somewhere (like boardsort) that buys them as is without the CPU?

Just curious as to what others have come up with.

Latest posts

Back