Misc pins processing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjavanb123

All,

A total of 11kg (22lbs) of pins including its plastic casing, were processed using cyanide solution. The double refined gold powder weigh 0.3g which shows processing pins like below is not much return in plating but in the ICs.

Here wre what was processed,
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Continued in next post

Here is some more pictures of pins I processed,
image.jpg

Cyanide solution after leaching was completed, notice the color is dimmer than previous solution when processing 17kg of partially plated digital telephone boards,
image.jpg

Pins after leach completed, from look of them, they are over 98% stripped from gold plating,
View attachment 2

Auric solution more concentrated from processing 17kg plated boards,
View attachment 1

Finally afte double refining the powder, here is 0.3g of gold powder.

I can only imagine the amunt of waste solution, time and mess processing this mix of pins would cause had I used anything other than cyanide.

Regards
Kevin

It's hardly commercially viable then Kevin. A good experiment though to prove that.

Jon

Jon,

Indeed at least it proves that recovery of gold plated boards at least from the materials I ran is not economic. But based on a 10lb test we ran on a shaker table which you can see the post, it had a good yield from ICs.

Best regards
Kevin

Kevin, do you think you have reached all the gold? I think 2/3 may still be covered with plastics or dissolved within the solder. Maybe you would have got more,if you would have crushed the material first? I have no clue about cyanide leaching, but is it possible some gold got to cement back to the base metals? Depending on the little amount of total gold contained, the smallest loss would make a great part of the theoretically possible yield.

Very interesting post, though!

Solar,

Thanks for the couragous words. I double checked items after leach completed no black coating to be found. So it is all stripped. Cyanide strips anything that can be seen.

Regards
Kevin

Last part of this post, here are the materials I ran using cyanide leach and two bucket systems.

image.jpg

And following, as you can see leach completed no gold visible remained.
image.jpg

Precipitated gold chloride from the AR soluion,
image.jpg

Here is the gold chloride powder washed and dried, melting it produced very tiny bead,
image.jpg

And this is finally all the gold that was recovered running all these plated materials using cyanide leach, total of 0.94g of gold, this icture is no justice as the scale was off,
image.jpg

The moral of this story is this type of scrap gold plated, is not worth running the gold plated.

Best regards,
Kevin

Latest posts

Back