My first attempt "Pins - Nitric bath"

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amon13

Hello everyone finally decided to make a first attempt(sorry for my english)-any help and advice will be useful to me.I chose to place Pins (from old telecom ) in Nitric bath because to prepare them for Aqua regia. I am familiar with the work of Steve about the pins in electrolytic cell,butt i want to try Aqua regia.
So i have 500 grams of this pins in a pic-1 -i put the pins in jar then 150ml water after this i put 400 ml Nitric acid 60% the reaction starts brown smoke began to come out from the jar after 30 min. i saw this in a pic 3 than i left the reaction to continue overnight.On the next day i saw that the base metal (copper) is not completely dissolved so i decided that the nitric acid is weak (60%),so i put more nitric -300 ml
then the reaction starts again brown smoke began to come out from the jar than i left the reaction to continue overnight finaly the base metal was dissolved but i saw some wite kristal flakes in the botom with the gold flakes pic-4,pic5.I reed in the forum that i must moved the solutin(without the gold flakes) in another pot and test for silver, but i dont think that there is any silver-but how about a white material?
Did you know what it is this white thing and is it normal- what to do next?

Attachments

• IMG0179A.jpg
    IMG0179A.jpg
    382.9 KB
  • IMG0181A.jpg
    IMG0181A.jpg
    278.7 KB
  • IMG0183A.jpg
    IMG0183A.jpg
    451.6 KB
  • IMG0176A.jpg
    IMG0176A.jpg
    241.2 KB
  • IMG0178A.jpg
    IMG0178A.jpg
    351.3 KB
Siphon off the copper nitrate solution (blue) and don't take any of the solids with the solution. Rinse well with water, until the rinse water is clear of color. Don't lose any of the solids when you do this. Allow plenty of time for everything to settle. Siphon off the rinse water, then get everything that's solid (gold and white material) in a filter. When dry, incinerate, then boil the incinerated material in HCl. That will remove materials that are troublesome.

Rinse the resulting material well after the HCl wash, then dissolve the values using AR.

I advise you not ignore the incineration process or the HCl wash. They make filtering the resulting solutions containing the values much easier.

It would be unusual for gold plated pins to contain any silver. Test the blue solution with a drop of HCl to see if silver chloride forms. Most likely it will not.

Harold

im sorry for my question- what you mean "incinerate" ( before boil the material in HCl)
i searh in the forum for "incinerate" whats meaning but i dont find the exact process

Heat to a red heat and maintain that temperature. You should have as much oxygen in this flame as possible, ideally.
However, since you do not seem to have any plastics present, the heat is more important than the atmosphere you heat it in. You do NOT want to melt your foils, merely roast them well.

It is likely that you have converted the tin from the bronze alloy (approximately 90% copper, 9% tin, 1% phosphor) to metastannic acid, which will not dissolve in either acid or caustic chemicals. But if you heat it to a red heat and hold it at that temperature for several minutes, it will convert to tin oxide, which will dissolve in concentrated hydrochloric acid.

Try this and let us know how it turns out.

amon13 said:
thank you dtectr tomorow i will try and post some pics

Hi, i am also come to this problem as the paste make the gold flakes hard to be filtered.
So if you have done an trial, please comment of this method and please post any pictures if your have, thank you

DelayNoMore said:
amon13 said:
thank you dtectr tomorow i will try and post some pics

Hi, i am also come to this problem as the paste make the gold flakes hard to be filtered.
So if you have done an trial, please comment of this method and please post any pictures if your have, thank you

hello Delaynomore sory for my late post ..
do not filter, just remove the nitic and wash with H202 several times after this incinerate ,boil the flakes and the white material with Hcl as Harold says wash with H202 and make AR the rest you know

amon13 said:
hello Delaynomore sory for my late post ..
do not filter, just remove the nitic and wash with H202 several times after this incinerate ,boil the flakes and the white material with Hcl as Harold says wash with H202 and make AR the rest you know

To clarify a point for the benefit of new comers to the forum and others who maybe don't have English as a first language, Harold suggests washing in water not H2O2(hydrogen peroxide)

Dihydrogen Monoxide is the scientific name for H2O or "water". look it up on the web for some amusing past time reading.

P.S. its the main ingredient in acid rain. :lol:

steyr223 said:
So I'm dieing to here the end of the story
are you going to tell us the rest
or at least your not in the hospital or morgue
(do they allow laptops in the morgue) :shock:

OK i'm writing from the morgue ......very funny everybody here know exactly what i mean Water-H2O but you realy enjoy to make fun of that.
I wish you to find out -do they allow laptops in the morge!

So this is not from the morgue
this is from the haven

Attachments

• IMG0203A.jpg
    IMG0203A.jpg
    17.1 KB
  • IMG0202A.jpg
    IMG0202A.jpg
    7.3 KB
  • IMG0211A.jpg
    IMG0211A.jpg
    106.8 KB
dtectr said:
I feel like a first-time father! :D
my friend, what is the 2nd pic? nice button in 1.
dtectr

:shock: the second pic - my first try to melt the gold powder

Latest posts

Back