My gold is black and floats. No matter what I do

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a side by side experiment with the same AR solution. One was cold/ambient and the other was hot 220F. The cold on the left after one hour vs the hot on the right.
SMB was used for this second refine experiment.

Janie
Nice so the issue for that was heat or no heat? Because I don't usually use heat when dropping gold. But thanks! I'll try and have things heated when I drop gold from now on.

For a beginner, dissolve the SMB in water. Boiling the powder in water alone will settle the powder better. H2SO4 will help. After the drop, decant the solution to another vessel and heat the solution to 200° F for two hours and then remove from heat and allow to cool. Test the solution with stannous chloride. If negative, decant and evaporate and send it to the stock pot. Check for any extra dropped powder.

Nice so the issue for that was heat or no heat? Because I don't usually use heat when dropping gold. But thanks! I'll try and have things heated when I drop gold from now on.
Actually you need to be more concerned about keeping it cool. SMB produces an exothermic reaction.

What did you cement with?
I didn't cement anything. I was just wondering if instead of dropping with SMB I could cement out my gold with copper and possibly change the black dirty water it keeps going back to. But Im just planning on following the instructions that someone posted a link to the thread for cleaning up the gold.

I didn't cement anything. I was just wondering if instead of dropping with SMB I could cement out my gold with copper and possibly change the black dirty water it keeps going back to. But Im just planning on following the instructions that someone posted a link to the thread for cleaning up the gold.
You can try.

So I'm trying to follow that thread that Martijn posted on this thread. But I'm scared to do all that boiling. Because my hot plate won't boil since I have a catch jar or dish underneath it. And my other hot plate is a simple thing that you're supposed to cook food with so it gets really hot and has broken many glasses of mine. Do you really actually boil it? And that many times?! Don't they break glass too? I'm just hesitant.

So I'm trying to follow that thread that Martijn posted on this thread. But I'm scared to do all that boiling. Because my hot plate won't boil since I have a catch jar or dish underneath it. And my other hot plate is a simple thing that you're supposed to cook food with so it gets really hot and has broken many glasses of mine. Do you really actually boil it? And that many times?! Don't they break glass too? I'm just hesitant.
Then get some proper gear or some makeshift things.
I use a sheet of fiberglass between my catch basin and the hotplate and then one between the catch basin and the glassware.

Proper glass is #1 priority. They are fairly cheap when measuring cost versus the risk of loosing your gold. Been there done that, put a stop to it quick and never look back.

Try a layer of sand in your catch pan. Clean sand is key but be very careful of scratches as it can cause cracks where the scratches make the glass weak.

Even a glass coffee pot is better than jars and drinking glasses.

Bring the heat up slower, most glass can be heated but not quickly. Boiling in plain glass is a disaster already beginning.

Proper glass is #1 priority. They are fairly cheap when measuring cost versus the risk of loosing your gold. Been there done that, put a stop to it quick and never look back.

Try a layer of sand in your catch pan. Clean sand is key but be very careful of scratches as it can cause cracks where the scratches make the glass weak.
That is why I use fiber glass mats.

I have plenty of Corning ware these days and good glassware, so I seldom use anything in my catch pans these days. But I still tend to bring the heat up slowly out of habit. Never thought about using fiberglass, Interesting what others come up with when trying to solve problems.

Back