My method for purifying hydrochloric acid for stannous chloride test solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I know that many of y'all are using homemade stannous chloride test solution, and this is done by reacting hydrochloric acid with tin. However, the standard muriatic acid that we can buy at a hardware store is not pure, the list of ingredients usually says 68.55% of "other ingredients as spray adjuvent". These "other ingredients" could lead to false positive or false negative tests.

So, I like to purify my muriatic acid before using it to make stannous chloride. The method is very easy and does not require any special chemistry equipment. I made this tutorial.

I will point out the slang to you: 'Y'all' does not translate well for members that do not speak english.
I also thought it was normal American language years ago. But have a buddy from Texas.
Please use 'real English words' when you post.

Interesting theory and purification way of part of the acid. What do you do with the impure HCl at 20% thats left over?

I must say: Your video is a very poor safety example. Please do better when INSTRUCTING people. You did spend a lot of time on the nice intro, content is ok, but the safety could be better.
You should be four levels above the ones getting instructed, not below beginners level. On a plastic table in the yard. Without gloves..
I know this is only HCl, but still.

What do you do with the impure HCl at 20% thats left over?
I usually use the impure 20% to etch PCBs (after adding a little bit of hydrogen peroxide).
On a plastic table in the yard. Without gloves.
Yes, I don't want to destroy my beautiful table. That plastic one doesn't mind the acid, I no longer count how many times I spilled acids on it. And no, I usually don't wear gloves with common strong acids such as hydrochloric, sulfuric, and nitric acid, as having some of these acid on my skin is really not a big deal (I sometimes wear gloves with nitric, as it leaves ugly yellow marks that take 3 weeks to go away).

I usually use the impure 20% to etch PCBs (after adding a little bit of hydrogen peroxide).

Yes, I don't want to destroy my beautiful table. That plastic one doesn't mind the acid, I no longer count how many times I spilled acids on it. And no, I usually don't wear gloves with common strong acids such as hydrochloric, sulfuric, and nitric acid, as having some of these acid on my skin is really not a big deal (I sometimes wear gloves with nitric, as it leaves ugly yellow marks that take 3 weeks to go away).
As far as I see you are not fit to give others advice nor tutorials.
You seriously need to study more, much more.
Especially safety and waste treatment.

As far as I see you are not fit to give others advice nor tutorials.
You seriously need to study more, much more.
Especially safety and waste treatment.
This is just hydrochloric acid! I'm not a millennial!
In my time we were pouring pure 31.45% HCL down the toilet to clean it, and nobody was using any gloves to do that.
In my time, we were pouring pure 98% sulfuric acid in drains to unclog them, and nobody was using any gloves to do that.
I need to study more???
Waste treatment? You don't even know what I do with the waste!

This is just hydrochloric acid! I'm not a millennial!
In my time we were pouring pure 31.45% HCL down the toilet to clean it, and nobody was using any gloves to do that.
In my time, we were pouring pure 98% sulfuric acid in drains to unclog them, and nobody was using any gloves to do that.
I need to study more???
Waste treatment? You don't even know what I do with the waste!
You are acting as a teacher when you post tutorials. Which means you need to step up safety and all other concerns for the ones watching/using the tutorials.
What we did as young has no bearing on what is considered safe and acceptable in today’s society.

We didn’t use seatbelts, hearing protection or dust masks either😳

It's just HCl. That's right.
Do you refine pm's? Or only chemistry?

We like to give a good example for new members because they might think it's ok to refine with chemicals in a setting like yours.

On the other hand, if you handle chemicals like stannous chloride, as mentioned in the video, i assumed you refine and should have a better, safer place to do so, if so, why not make the video there?

Assumptions on my part and the standard safety response to video's like yours lead to my reaction.
We see guys walking around in a big red NOx cloud in shorts and on flip-flops near houses with kids playgrounds.

No need to study metallurgy if your not doing that. But make your tutorials in a different way if you want to present them here on this forum please. Everything we deal with is considered toxic.

Martijn.

HCl does not need “purifying” if you quit buying the newer green stuff. Now, if you are buying drain/ceramic cleaning liquids that contain HCl maybe. But then why not just buy the cheaper stuff and get real HCl.

I like watching quality videos, what I don’t care for are those videos that show unsafe, and carelessly (pretend) to teach how to do things. For the time and effort it takes to make a video, why not just do it the right way.

You are acting as a teacher when you post tutorials.
My tutorial is about teaching a method for purifying hydrochloric acid, not about exaggerated safety measures.

Let me ask you a question: Do you use PPE when you handle boiling water in your kitchen?

And let me already give my reply to the only two acceptable answers:
  • If your answer is "yes", then you are just lying!
  • If your answer is "no", then you have a serious contradiction that you need to solve, as I illustrate in this challenge.
I'm curious to know whether your answer is "yes" or "no"...

Let me ask you a question: Do you use PPE when you handle boiling water in your kitchen?

Actually, I do use appropriate personal protection when in the kitchen. I also use appropriate personal protection when making soap and candles, mixing and using insecticides and herbicides.

I add hearing protection to the mix when using power tools.

I also use archival quality gloves when handling uncirculated coins and currency.

Almost lost a thumb last time I did not wear proper gloves. Never again.

In refining, many toxins are created that need mitigation. Failure to recognize this, and take appropriate action, can result in death, if one is lucky. A lifetime of pain and anguish if one is not.

Do as you will.

Time for more coffee.

My tutorial is about teaching a method for purifying hydrochloric acid, not about exaggerated safety measures.

• If your answer is "no", then you have a serious contradiction that you need to solve, as I illustrate in this challenge.
That is besides the point.
Water vapours will burn you and boiling water too.
It is instantly noticed and most don’t do it again.
But it will not damage your lungs clandestinely over time nor transport salts and other toxins into your body so please do not compare the two.
You have been given good advice and caution which could help you if you let it.

Ok, since we are playing 20 questions.

Would a few simple precautions not be better than just ignoring all precautions?

If I decide to jump off a cliff, would it not be wiser to wear a parachute or hang glider to find the results of the experiment?

But then again, your mind is made up and no common sense will change it.

Saying that it's fine to work with concentrated sulfuric acid without gloves is just foolish.
Then I'm asking you the question: Do you use PPE when handling boiling water in your kitchen?

The two are not equivalent. If I burn myself with boiling water it will hurt, but it will heal in time. If I burn myself with concentrated sulfuric acid, the scarring can last a lifetime.

We emphasize safety here. Please don't undermine that effort.

Dave

There is a difference between safety and PPE. PPE should be your last resort.
Some are standard, like gloves. Goggles. Other measures are on the preventive side.
In the kitchen that's a solid standing stove and good pan with handles. Insulated ones if you're lucky. Or else i would use potholders.

Isn't that a PPE?

So yes.

But keep in mind we handle more than clean chemicals.

Latest posts

Back