my starter peice when im ready

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colt45gto

This is my starter nugget when I am ready and confident enough to refine.

Attachments

• WP_20160108_004.jpg
    WP_20160108_004.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 200
Well, you probably shouldn't have done that. When we prepare metals for refining we want a high surface area to volume ratio. That allows our chemicals to reach more of the metal we're refining more easily. Sometimes, it's just a matter of speed. Others, it can stall a reaction. By melting several smaller bits together into one larger glob, you've decreased your surface area to volume ratio.

Dave

colt45gto said:
No its a mix of a couple of bits of 9ct I melted down

I literally just did the same thing back in December. If you want to read through the thread I have, you can get a good bit of information on how you could separate the gold. I'm not sure if yours is a mix of gold/copper or many other metals though. Mine has a bit of silver in it, so I'll need to add a couple extra steps to fix it. http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23226

Just make sure you take your time to learn all of the safety precautions, reactions from mixing different chemicals, and the proper process for the job.

FrugalRefiner said:
Well, you probably shouldn't have done that. When we prepare metals for refining we want a high surface area to volume ratio. That allows our chemicals to reach more of the metal we're refining more easily. Sometimes, it's just a matter of speed. Others, it can stall a reaction. By melting several smaller bits together into one larger glob, you've decreased your surface area to volume ratio.

Dave
this won't be refined in this state, when i have done the learning bit and have got what i need it will be remelted and dropped from hight to cold water to make pellets.

Grelko said:
colt45gto said:
No its a mix of a couple of bits of 9ct I melted down

I literally just did the same thing back in December. If you want to read through the thread I have, you can get a good bit of information on how you could separate the gold. I'm not sure if yours is a mix of gold/copper or many other metals though. Mine has a bit of silver in it, so I'll need to add a couple extra steps to fix it. http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23226

Just make sure you take your time to learn all of the safety precautions, reactions from mixing different chemicals, and the proper process for the job.
thanks buddy i will.
this will be full of many things. its actually scary to wonder what will actually be left once refined. how much weight is lost etc.

Latest posts

Back