Mystery Metal Medley and Reactivity Scaling

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polysulfide

A friend gave me a small bottle full of small assay buttons.
Some were very white
Some were very pink
And a whole spectrum in between.
Obviously nothing resembling pure gold or silver. Only small amounts of copper.
Could be absolutely any metals though.

I thought it might be fun to do some ad-hoc analysis while refining these. I am curious what is in there. There’s enough non-gold that I didn’t think any inquartarion was necessary.
So I melted them all together and poured them into shot. Nothing particularly difficult to melt. Did it all in a melting dish with an acetylene torch. I washed and dryer the shot.

First I washed the shot in HCL which resulted in a bright yellow solution. I let this work for 24 hours until it quit reacting completely. This appears to be tin. Fun. Washed the remaining shot a few times with distilled water.

Then washed in dilute sulfuric acid.
The acid immediately became cloudy and then slowly formed a white precipitate. Going on 24 hours. There seems to be more precipitate but any reaction isn’t vigorous.

I can’t find much information on what metal isn’t soluble in HCL but is soluble in sulfuric while making a white cloud or precipitate. Thallium comes up.

I only rinsed a few times after HCL so there may be some residual chloride but I don’t think enough to account for this much precipitate were this a metal chloride.

Any thoughts on what this might be?

Assay beads, that are not black, brown, bronze, or yellow, I would suspect they have not been scorified or cupelled in bone ash...

The size and weights of the beads would also be clues to previous treatments.

If the assays were from ore, the closer they were to 30grams they were and the whiter the bead, the more I would suspect they have not been cupelled...

Who knows? You could be dealing with lead, bismuth or some other collector metal used, that normally could have easily been oxidized under an oxidizing flame in an oxidizing environment, then absorbing the base metal oxides into bone ash or magnesite (MgO) cupel to remove the bulk of the base metals before acid parting the beads

Back