Mystery screw

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscrap

So I have some screws I have no idea how to get off. If no one knows how, I'll just break the thing open, but I would prefer to do it the right way. 8)

The box
xf6r2a.jpg

The screw
1zo9tlk.jpg

You should be able to grip them with wire cutter tips to get them to turn.
That is what I do when I don't feel like looking for the right tool.

Jim

I've also used a small 6" pair of vise grips to get it started. Once it's loose just spin them out with your fingers.

Is there a specific tool for these though?

EDIT: apparently these are called torx-external screws. I'll order the tool for them, but thanks anyway

You won't go wrong getting the right tool for the job but, for those who don't want to buy a special tool, an angle grinder would grind the heads off pretty quick. Another option is a dremel tool with a small cut-off wheel. just grind a slot and use a straight screw driver.

Mscrap,

It looks like a poly drive according to the six lobes and six grooves it looks like in the picture. I bought a big set of a drivers that come with lots I didn't even know existed at Costco so I can use them in a power screwdriver to save time. Here is the link I looked to for what I think yours is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives
All the best,

John

Quite a few of the Harbour Frieight type companies sell a "Security Bit" Set that covers 99% of the oddball security screws that you find in electronics and automotive componets. Might be worth the $20. of less that they cost.

Dan

Latest posts

Back