NaCN - What's the story?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORCB

Hi all, just getting into this. Do people use this if they're not Barrick Au? Is it effectively or literally banned or something? Do people just make it themselves? I was curious because I guess this is the standard industrial leaching chemical, but I have not seen it anywhere. Apparently it turns into HCN gas if the solution goes acidic, but there's plenty of dangerous stuff out there. What's up? - ORCB

NaCN has been a controlled substance in most countries for many years. In the right hands it's one of the best chemicals to recover gold and silver but has it's problems due to it's highly toxic nature especially if mixed with acids or it's ingested.
Please note I said recovery it's not used to refine metals just recover them, here on the forum other methods of recovery are discussed such as AP, the sulphuric cell and various other leaches, use the search function top right and you will find plenty of references and visit Lasersteves site where there's videos of the cell and AP methods amongst much else.

ORCB said:
Hi all, just getting into this.
If you are just getting into this, be thankful you were unable to find NaCN, it could have easily lead to your death. Please read about other processes here before trying something that could be the end of you. Take your time and be safe, as even common household cleaners can be fatal if mixed incorrectly.

Latest posts

Back