Name of the device to concentrate gold bath solution.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolineSun

Hi All,

I am trying to get a device to concentrate waste gold bath solution. Anybody knows what this kind of device is called?

Thank you so much!
Caroline

A hotplate? Seriously, need more details on exactly what you have and exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

GotTheBug said:
A hotplate? Seriously, need more details on exactly what you have and exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
Have very diluted gold plating solution and trying to get it concentrated, so we can send it out to get gold recovered. Trying to find what options are out there.

Thank you for your respond!

Caroline,

If this solution is from the plating baths you have been mentioning in your other threads, you need to be careful.

Generally speaking, spent playing solutions are considered listed wastes by EPA. There are very strict regulations
concerning treatment and disposal. You should talk to an environmental professional in your state because
regulations vary from state to state and in some cases even locally.

If you determine that you still want to concentrate the solution, you
will need an evaporator. They can get very expensive depending on
the size you need.

There are many options available depending on the volume of solution
and the gold concentration.

Westerngs said:
Caroline,

If this solution is from the plating baths you have been mentioning in your other threads, you need to be careful.

Generally speaking, spent playing solutions are considered listed wastes by EPA. There are very strict regulations
concerning treatment and disposal. You should talk to an environmental professional in your state because
regulations vary from state to state and in some cases even locally.

If you determine that you still want to concentrate the solution, you
will need an evaporator. They can get very expensive depending on
the size you need.

There are many options available depending on the volume of solution
and the gold concentration.

I will check out the evaporator. We will consult with state environmental agency definitely. Thank you for your advice.

How dilute? What's the present gold concentration? How much dilute solution are we talking about? What are the other chemicals in the solution, at what concentrations?

Something you might look at is the electrolytic Gold Bug. It consists of a porous cathode with a tremendous amount of surface area. It's main usage is to continually remove the gold from plating drag out solutions, which are very dilute. You could probably send them a 5-10 gallon sample and they would test it with their equipment and give you a report. If it works, it would likely be a lot cheaper than evaporating it down. Talk to them.
http://www.preciousmetals-pmpc.com/goldbug.htm

The gold bug will work exceptionally well for drag out from the electroplating, but I doubt it would be effective on scrubber water, for that it will need to be more concentrated for the gold bug to work. I cannot imagine the concentration being more than Parts Per Million. For that, I agree with Lou, ion exchange resin column.

4metals said:
The gold bug will work exceptionally well for drag out from the electroplating, but I doubt it would be effective on scrubber water, for that it will need to be more concentrated for the gold bug to work. I cannot imagine the concentration being more than Parts Per Million. For that, I agree with Lou, ion exchange resin column.
You and Lou are probably right, if the gold can then be eluted. I just never liked burning resins.

Lou said:
Ever heard of ion exchange?

Yes. We did think about ion exchange. I just try to get more options and see which one is the most economic. Evaporator would be another one then.

goldsilverpro said:
How dilute? What's the present gold concentration? How much dilute solution are we talking about? What are the other chemicals in the solution, at what concentrations?

Something you might look at is the electrolytic Gold Bug. It consists of a porous cathode with a tremendous amount of surface area. It's main usage is to continually remove the gold from plating drag out solutions, which are very dilute. You could probably send them a 5-10 gallon sample and they would test it with their equipment and give you a report. If it works, it would likely be a lot cheaper than evaporating it down. Talk to them.
http://www.preciousmetals-pmpc.com/goldbug.htm

I have the same questions too. :-D I don't have much inside info at this point. Just presented our approaches and didn't get the job yet. Everything is confidential to us at this point.

What the concentration does the gold recovery company normally deal with?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back