• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Need 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of PT jewelry grade fast

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jewelerdave

I have a job that calls for .900 or .950 Plat, It does not have to be refined, In fact if its just marked jewelry thats all the better.
Pt can be melted down and recast with out the refining.
I need about 20 grams.
most refiners pay about 75% of spot to 80% that I have dealt with. I will go 85%
I am just looking to save a little cash and give a better rate if someone has it. I need to know with by the 15th of Dec 2007.

Thanks,

David

970 227 5177

Be careful about working with old platinum alloys. If they have experienced any soldering that contains silver, you'll end up with brittle platinum. It's much like gold with lead included.

A very good idea is to pickle the platinum in nitric and water for a prolonged period of time, then shift to AR. Platinum is slow to dissolve, so any solder joints will become obvious. It's best if you can eliminate them entirely, even if you must clip them.

I provided recycled platinum by this method for years for my customers. Excellent results. Anything that was dissolved in the pickle process was recovered in the stock pot.

Harold

Thanks Harold,
I have always filed off solder and placed in heated AR before sending it in to be cast or worked myself. Likewise if it was silver I Nitric it. I love the look of The PT after coming out of the AR. bright and crystalline looking.
I sometimes forget that heads and other odds and ends are PT and wonder why I still have parts in the bottom of my AR with gems and silver...then I realize, BONUS, I got some Plat.
Usually I have enough to cover my Plat demand but I just did a ring last month and I only have about 2 grams...gotta get some more.
Thanks for the input.

Until about three years ago, I had a few ounces that had been pickled and clipped. Sold it all, along with platinum sponge, when the price was running around $700. I should have held on!

Harold

Ah you might have missed this thread then:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1178

I still have that piece of Pt, it's not jewelry grade unfortunately, it's purer, 99.95% and sadly, 'tis all or nothing with it, as I really don't want to cut it up, it looks too nice! Almost a full ounce. Don't have any sponge available at this time but give me a few days and I can make some up.

I can post a picture tonight if you want.

Probably should mention this: http://www.midwestrefineries.com/platinum.htm
They buy at 89%.

So if YOU are selling it at 85% to a refinery, you're getting ripped off.

Edit--oops, I forgot I already tried to pawn this one off on ya ;)

Back