Need advice on some boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They really do have a lot of quality vintage component's
Question is, what has more value to you - your free time or little extra money (maybe extra, but overall it can be also detrimental).

As far as I watch the boards, these are from the era I hated the most :D (not meaning they are bad, but not interesting in terms of recovery for me) Lots of very low value THT black DIP, some SMD, no BGA, just 4-side and 2-side chips. Some tantalum, maybe Pd hot-dogs, some partially plated low grade pins, from time to time some finger... Overall, not too much.

Question is - do it add some value if you depopulate and sell ? I think if somehow yes, not too much. You can "test" depopulate say 10-20 kg of them, representative sample of the lot and weight everything what is sellable. Chips, tantalum, hotdogs, SMD resistors/MLCCs + low-value depopulated boards. Everyone of these materials has a price-tag. So do have the depopulated boards. And also intact boards.

Do the maths and decide. My forecast is not overall that much worth to depopulate. If it is your personal hobby to spend few days with hammer and chisle, heatgun and lots of work... Then go ahead :D

They still have a problem. I still can’t get into it at all from Safari. Firefox also gives me a message that the site is not configured correctly and it’s not trusted, but at least Firefox will let me choose to bypass the warning and go to the site anyway. Those are both from my iPad.

I’ve tried it from my desktop computer also and from Firefox which is recently updated it says security error certificate revoked. From Safari on the computer (which hasn’t been updated in at least 4 years) it works and I don’t get any warning. Maybe you just aren’t using a very secure browser, or yours is out of date also?
I am having no problem logging on to boardsort - micro soft edge (chrome)

Kurt

I am having no problem logging on to boardsort - micro soft edge (chrome)

Kurt

I’m not the only one having the problem, it was reported on Geo’s FB group by Ben Jenkins and I along with a few others confirmed that we all had the same problem (still do). Like you, the OP here who claims he doesn’t have a problem also said he is using Chrome. That just says to me that Chrome isn’t a secure browser since it isn’t reporting the invalid cert as a security threat. If you two are OK with that though, then just ignore it and carry on. Honestly to me it’s just a nuisance and given the choice I’d skip by the warning and go to the site anyway.

I’m not the only one having the problem, it was reported on Geo’s FB group by Ben Jenkins and I along with a few others confirmed that we all had the same problem (still do)
I just talked to Chris at boardsort on the phone - he was aware of the problem & the problem has now been fixed (about 4:30 last night) --- there should now be no problems logging on to boardsort

Kurt

I just talked to Chris at boardsort on the phone - he was aware of the problem & the problem has now been fixed (about 4:30 last night) --- there should now be no problems logging on to boardsort

Kurt
Tried it just now. Went right to their homepage. Didn't work 2 days ago. Using Firefox on a Linux machine.

If you have palettes, then sell them AFTER you sort them into groups. They will deduct from the price if you don't sort ahead of time.

Fully depopulating seems out of the question. There would be many types of components with no resale value. Then there are also the empty boards you'd be left with (that might bring 5 or 10 cents a pound, if you have a local buyer like a scrap yard).

Cherry picking a few key items might increase return; but you also reduce the value of the remaining board the more you take off. A telecom grade board could end up midgrade if you remove a lot of flatpacks and such.

It really depends most on how you will sell them. What you could possibly collect of higher value depends on what your buyer(s) will pay for, as well as what the remaining board would be graded as.

It may be worth trimming fingercard edges; maybe pinching a few chips here and there.

With 3 pallets of stuff, you have to consider the sheer time involved in processing that many boards beyond just sorting them. Shipping that much to boardsort would probably be best by a freight company. UPS and FedEx don't usually deal in pallet loads.

Edit: grammar, added to

Last edited:
Back