need an estimate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gill,

The material covered on all my DVDs is discussed all over the forum. I'm not hiding information from the forum members in order to sell DVDs. Fact of the matter is the number one comment I get from my DVD customers is that they are visual learners and prefer to watch not read.

In nearly 95% of the emails and PM's I get concerning information on the DVD's I direct the individual to the forum for the answer or I repeat information that has already be posted numerous times on the forum.

If I posted every PM and email communication I've ever received about the DVDs to the forum, the forum would be awash with redundant answers to old questions (it's almost that bad already). I for one would like to try to make the forum an easier place to navigate, not for my benefit, but for others.

Steve

lazersteve said:
Gill,

The material covered on all my DVDs is discussed all over the forum. I'm not hiding information from the forum members in order to sell DVDs. Fact of the matter is the number one comment I get from my DVD customers is that they are visual learners and prefer to watch not read.

In nearly 95% of the emails and PM's I get concerning information on the DVD's I direct the individual to the forum for the answer or I repeat information that has already be posted numerous times on the forum.

If I posted every PM and email communication I've ever received about the DVDs to the forum, the forum would be awash with redundant answers to old questions (it's almost that bad already). I for one would like to try to make the forum an easier place to navigate, not for my benefit, but for others.

Steve

Fair enough, I'll put my imagination to rest.

Thank you Gil.

Focus your efforts on refining/reclamation! I have strong faith that you're going to make your fortune.

I have no problem telling people how to do things or even showing them, but there's a limit to altruism--I have things I must do, and responsibilities of my own. It would take hours upon hours to draw up every procedure I've used or tested, and much longer to properly annotate it. People do not have an entitlement to the knowledge of others any such transfer that is free is utter benevolence.

Having to pay for article access quickly makes me want to see information for free and I heartily applaud your open source, full-disclosure viewpoint. At the same time, when I grumble about paying $35 for an article or more for other technical manual I must consider the costs and efforts that go into getting it onto my hard drive. I see nothing wrong in wanting to be compensated for hard work and collection of information or novel discovery. Bibliographers and librarians are such people, and so too are lawyers and physicians. They have information we need, and we pay them for their knowledge and the application of it. My wanting to charge money for spending my time, health, and resources in research should be compensated--we don't have a society that will sponsor such endeavours so profit must be one of the results!

However, I do not like the lottery implication/threat. It's nothing like a lottery anyway--not luck but skill. It's hardly worse than digitizing books that are in copyright and uploading them onto a forum, if less noble presuming we take it as you did to be motivated only by profit.

Back