Need help CPU

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmlfreitas

Hello everyone.
I think i'm ready and i understood most of the processes after months of study.
I have 15 ceramic cpu's that i want to process. I've read here on the forum that there are several ways to do it.
I know Poor man's ar can be used, but instead of doing everything at once, i would like to separate the base metals first.(I've read it was better for noobs.)
I also know that nitric acid can be used, i've read that for ceramic cpus its best to use Nitric acid to dissolve the base metals and then wash it hot water to get rid of the nitric acid or wash with hcl.
After that use the AP method the "regular way" to get the gold foils. Add bleach and drop the gold with SMB.( like on Steve's Videos with the fingers)
I'm i right??? Or it's better to use the Poor mans ar? What is the expert's opinion?
I have some trouble with finding Sodium Nitrate to use with poor man's ar, so the reason of all the questions.

Thanks in advance

if your willing to deal with nitric acid, then you should be comfortable enough to use the poor man's AR. almost any nitrate will work or nitric acid if you have that. the reason poor man's AR is recommended is most people have a problem obtaining nitric acid. nitrates are a substitute for nitric acid. sodium nitrate can be obtained from different sources. look for HiYield brand "nitrate of soda" or potassium nitrate in Spectracide brand "stump remover".

AR method is the recommended process because its just one process to follow.http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=12845&p=126914#p126914

Thanks both of you for the quick reply, here in my country its easy to get Nitric acid, 60%.
I will use Steve's poor man's ar method, also will look for the Sodium Nitrate, it's used as fertilizer right?
Thanks once again.

I also know that nitric acid can be used, i've read that for ceramic cpus its best to use Nitric acid to dissolve the base metals and then wash it hot water to get rid of the nitric acid or wash with hcl.

If you do use Nitric, water WILL NOT rid the material of acid and rinsing with HCl will produce AR and dissolve some gold. You must incinerate first to rid the material of Nitric before proceeding.

nmlfreitas said:
Hello everyone.
I think i'm ready and i understood most of the processes after months of study.
I have 15 ceramic cpu's that i want to process. I've read here on the forum that there are several ways to do it.
I know Poor man's ar can be used, but instead of doing everything at once, i would like to separate the base metals first.(I've read it was better for noobs.)
After that use the AP method the "regular way" to get the gold foils. Add bleach and drop the gold with SMB.( like on Steve's Videos with the fingers)
I'm i right??? Or it's better to use the Poor mans ar? What is the expert's opinion?
I have some trouble with finding Sodium Nitrate to use with poor man's ar, so the reason of all the questions.

Thanks in advance

It is a smart move on your part, remember that you will need to heat the nitric leach.
When you are done with your nitric leach, wash the cpu's with distilled water several time and move on to AR.

This way will help you seperate silver and generally help you gain better understanding, but remember, the same could be achieved by direct AR, it's just a little messier. :p

Hello once again
You spoke about silver, that is a question that as been troubling my mind :roll:
If i use poor man's ar, how can you get the silver? i'm sure that i'm missing something.
If i use nitric i'm sure how to get the silver, but not with poor man's ar...

Silver is converted to insoluble silver chloride when the AR is reacting and afterwards a small amount of dissolved silver chloride is precipitated when the solution is cooled after ice is added. These silver chlorides are solids so they report in the filter.

Steve

silver chloride will precipitate from AR as the solution cools or when its diluted. when you finish your dissolution, its best to wait and let all the silver chloride precipitate before trying to precipitate your gold. some will precipitate when you add the ice, but not all. more will drop when you dilute. so dilute and wait for all the silver to drop and then precipitate the gold. i wait till the next day to be sure its out as much as possible.

Latest posts

Back