Need help with Nitric treatment for Pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawas

Hello everybody,
This is my first post on the forum, and of course I need to pay my great respect for this forum and it's great members. I have learned a lot in here.
Forgive me if this is to much details, too little details, or if I broke some forum rules.

So, after one year of studying Hoke and the forum, and a couple failed attempts on processing tiny amounts of scrap and trying to find suppliers of scrap and chemicals, I started my first serious test batch of 50 motherboards. I intend to do each type of components separately. First step is header pins, second is north bridge (ICs with golden corner on green fiber base), then I will think about partially plated pins and serial/parallel/vga/etc connectors.

Some background, I live in Egypt. I can get HCL for $0.5/L, Nitric for $1/L and Sulfuric for $1.3/L and H2O2 50% for $1/L. I also got SMB claimed to be "food quality" and succeeded in making copperas. Ultra cheap and readily available chemicals, with one problem: tiny non-professional shops, selling stuff in unmarked bottles. You don't know where/how it was made, it's quality, exact concentration or even if it is the right stuff. I bought 5L 70% nitric and it turned out to be either extremely weak nitric or something completely different, no effect on a pin in tube and weights 1.05K/L ( a lesson here, test chemicals before use!).
Also we are a free country :), nothing is illegal here, you can burn plastics, dump your dangerous chemicals in sewer or land and do whatever you want. I am not doing this and never will, I care for the environment, just bragging :p.
I intend to grow a small business, relying on labor more than machinery, as labor cost is extremely low in my country, you can get people competing for $100 a month, 6 days/week, 12h/day.

Also I am aware that there are better ways to do things, like electric cell for pins, but I want to master the chemical processes first.

So for the header pins, the 50 MB yielded 200g of header pins. Some 10g were heat desoldered, and the others were clipped. I put those in Nitric. 300mL hot water, incremental 300mL Nitric, settle and move the bulk of liquid to glass bottles and repeat 3 times. It took 900mL conc. Nitric to finish which from what I read is about right.
The resulting solution was dark green, I let it to settle for 2 days and got all precipitate in the main reactor. The precipitate was good layer of white powder/paste and some foils/solids (they looked black).
Now this white stuff should be tin paste or lead nitrate (there was extremely little solder on the pins). I followed Hoke's method and removed as much liquid as I can, put hot water to dissolve the lead nitrate and it looked like nothing dissolved. Then removed the liquid, put some 50% sulfuric and warmed to get rid of tin paste. Nothing happened. I boiled, nothing happened (sulfuric was good, right weight and a lot of heat when diluting). I poured everything in a big jar with water to dilute the sulfuric, let settle and removed most of the liquid, and repeated with hot water.
Now I have my beaker with the white stuff and solids/powder and little liquid, I think to evaporate to dry, add HCL/CL (will have traces of Nitric and Sulfuric but I believe it won't hurt). Dissolve gold and see what happens to the white stuff.
Now my first question: What is that white stuff that doesn't dissolve in Nitric, hot water or sulfuric?

My second question is about the resultant solution from the Nitric treatment. This solution is dark green, not dark blue as copper nitrate should be. My intention is to process copper nitrate to get nitric back and CuO for AP or metallic copper. I made some experiments on the liquid:
1- In a test tube, some solution a pinch of salt and a piece of aluminum foil, after some hours, bubbles formed on foil and something started to precipitate (very weak reaction).
2- Another tube, some solution and NaCl (intention to produce sodium nitrate and CuCl2), no visible reaction.
3- Interesting one, put 100mL in beaker, and evaporate in water bath. I went to sleep after 2 hours and turned off the heat, solution was around 80mL. I woke up to find solution around 60mL, deep blue (like typical copper nitrate) and a brown sediment. Intention was to evaporate to syrup, and store/crystalize for decomposition later when I'm able to.
Insights about this solution and the brown powder is needed.

Best regards and thanks in advance for your help.

Hawas

The white powder could be several things, depending on your solution, often nitric acid is made with sulfuric acid (you could have lead sulfate), or you can have nitric with chlorides involved (if the nitric was made from impure nitrate salts)...

although this would be a bad thing in your nitric acid as any chloride in your nitric can dissolve some gold , you can test your nitric supply by adding silver nitrate, if you get a white milky looking solution your nitric contains chlorides, the silver nitrate solution can also be used to remove the chlorides as it precipitates the chloride out as silver chloride powder.

I cannot say what the white powders are, but you could take a small sample of them, roast them, and put them in a test tube, add HCl to cover, making chloride solution or salts, note color of solution, some metals like copper will give clues to metal involved, if you still have a white powder, decant HCl, wash the powders in cold water, and let sit in the sun, silver chloride will darken in light.
Try adding boiling hot water lead chloride will dissolve in hot water giving a clear solution, that when cooled will again precipitate a white lead chloride powder.
Silver chloride will dissolve in ammonia solution (clear) and when you add HCl to this solution it will again precipitate a white powder of silver chloride.
Caution always acidify the ammonium solution, and never dry powders without acidifying them first.
Copper powders can also dissolve into a compound in ammonia giving a very bright blue color.

If your copper nitric solution is green this can be from a couple of things, excess nitric acid still in solution or possible some palladium.
A bar of copper can help to answer that question, and or, a test with DMG.

1- In a test tube, some solution a pinch of salt and a piece of aluminum foil, after some hours, bubbles formed on foil and something started to precipitate (very weak reaction).

You probably formed a gelatinous aluminum chloride or hydroxide, I think it is funny you had very little reaction normally the reaction of aluminum and acid forms a violent reaction as it evolves hydrogen from the acid, this sounds like your solution was not very acidic.
I am unsure why you added salt, or why both salt and aluminum?

2- Another tube, some solution and NaCl (intention to produce sodium nitrate and CuCl2), no visible reaction.
There would be no reaction, or precipitate form, you just have all of these ions in solution, you can have both the sodium nitrate and the CuCl2 in solution, as ions with the other nitrates, but there is no reaction, as nothing will precipitate, so you can have Cu, Cl, NO3, Na, as just ions all dissolved in solution. It is possible to evaporate and concentrate this solution and precipitate salts, I would have to check solubility charts and other facts to see how you might be able to get a product from this you could use.

3- Interesting one, put 100mL in beaker, and evaporate in water bath. I went to sleep after 2 hours and turned off the heat, solution was around 80mL. I woke up to find solution around 60mL, deep blue (like typical copper nitrate) and a brown sediment. Intention was to evaporate to syrup, and store/crystallize for decomposition later when I'm able to.
Insights about this solution and the brown powder is needed.

The green turned to blue as you evaporated off free nitric acid, brown sediment most likely copper the solution could no longer hold (although it would not hurt to test and see if it could have value, as it may not be just copper).

please do everything that butcher advises to be sure, but also check to see if it may be metastannic acid. this would result from the solder from the pins you heated off (sweat off). when dissolving tin in nitric acid, the tin does not really dissolve. other names for metastannic acid is hydrated tin oxide, tin dioxide, tin(IV) oxide. metastannic acid is insoluble in acids. you can take a sample of the white paste and incinerate it to a glowing hot state and let it cool. after this, it should be soluble in hydrochloric acid.

@Geo:
It is tin paste that I was expecting from the beginning, although it's weird so little solder can make all this paste. According to Hoke, it should dissolve in 50% warm sulfuric, but in my case it didn't. However I am starting to think again it's indeed tin paste, and I did something wrong with the sulfuric.

@butcher:
Thanks for all the details. I am following your advice now.
I dried and roasted the powder/paste, it turned to gray.
I took a little and put in HCL, color changed from light yellow (HCL) to a darker shade for yellow with a green hint, most of the powder is still there (even after I boiled a little). I left it to settle.

I am wondering, if tin paste doesn't dissolve in acids and AR, why don't we just dissolve the gold and filter the paste out of solution, I have read some posts of experienced members doing it.

Hawas said:
@Geo:
(snip)
I am wondering, if tin paste doesn't dissolve in acids and AR, why don't we just dissolve the gold and filter the paste out of solution, I have read some posts of experienced members doing it.
I doubt you read it here :shock:
You are talking of one of the easiest ways to lose your gold forever, if you make the slightest mistake like dissolving gold in AR with tin in solution. You can't even test for the gold to know where it is :shock:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15324
3rd post by NobleMetalWorks, this is one post I could find now.

However, the many advices and hard work done by experienced users to eliminate the tin paste before dissolving the gold means it has to/should be done, I was just wondering why, since it doesn't dissolve in AR, what is the problem.

Regards :)

Hello Hawas and welcome to the forum.

I think the "tin paste" you see is from the pins themselves. Many pins are made of an aluminum bronze alloy that contains tin. Whenever dissolving pins like that it will create metastannic acid that is your white sediment.

The problem with the metastannic acid is that it makes the solution almost impossible to filter. It effectively clogs filters and traps dissolved values.
There are different ways to handle it. One way is when you have dissolved your gold and it is mixed with the tin paste you let it settle in a large beaker and then decanting the clear liquid on top. Add more water, mix and decant again until most values are recovered and then only filter the last sludge.
Another way (haven't tried this myself) is to incinerate the gold and tin paste. This will convert the metastannic acid into tin oxide which will dissolve in boiling hydrochloric acid and leaving you with a concentrate of gold foils. This you can process in the normal way.

I have read that very dilute nitric acid can dissolve tin... http://tin.atomistry.com/chemical_properties.html
Very dilute nitric acid gradually dissolves tin without evolution of gas, with the formation of stannous and ammonium nitrates; acid of density about 1.3 converts tin to a white powder, with evolution of oxides of nitrogen. This powder is hydrated metastannic acid (q.v.), probably formed by the decomposition of unstable stannic nitrate.
Maybe you could try to dilute the acid before dissolving the pins and see if that will avoid the metastannic acid.

Göran

Latest posts

Back