Needing help with big mistake made.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayofael86

I need help from an experienced miner who has processed southern California, desert gold/ micron gold. First i will say what I've done( I've read and preformed processes that i have gotten from other forums).

Minerals and chemicals and equipment used in process:

Sub Zero (Nitric Acid Substitute)
6 oz of crushed mineral: grade 1/200 mesh screen
Muratic Acid grade( Walmart grade)
Urea(Organic Nitrogen)
Sodium MetaBisulfite
Stannous Chloride( made with 95%tin 5%antimony solder)
Aroma b100 portable burner 4 setting
Varies size beakers- 100ml -1000ml
Coffee filters
household funnel
12" inch glass rods

Okay what i started with was 6 oz of mixture i split that into 2 x 3 oz samples.

Test 1

combined subzero with 3 oz mineral set aside, in a 500 ml beaker add 4 oz of muratic acid but on burner plate. turned on burner to low setting and wait 20 min to get acid heated, add subzero ore mixture to heated Muratic acid turned brownish( Chemical Reaction of Aqua Regia), turn heat down to between R and M on warm setting left on for 10 minutes then turned off burner, but aside then stirred for 30 seconds intervals every 45 minutes for a total of 3 hours so Aqua Regia could process mineral. Next i drained Aqua Regia and mineral combination into filter and funnel with liquid going into a 1000 ml beaker, when finished draining using a spray bottle made sure all yellowish color was drain into beaker, resulting in reddish brown liquid in beaker. next removed filter set aside, i added urea in pinches till it resulted in no fizz reaction. I then dried filter content came out as 2 oz of mixture, So with this math, I should have about 1 oz in solution. According to forum sources it says to combine 8 oz glass of warm water to 1 oz SMB stir till dissolved set aside. Next slowly add SMB Water(Gold Precipitant) to Aqua Regia, when adding GP, turned darker color finish pouring SMB into solution, first setting aside and and waiting 1 hour to see if there is any mineral that drops... Result none and liquid is clear

Test 2

Heat 4 oz muratic acid on low for 15 minutes and added 2 TBSP of Subzero to heated MA stirred till dissolved making aqua Regia, turned to between A-R in warm setting. Added mineral to AR stirred mineral with stir rod. Mixing well keeping on heat for 20 minutes then turned off burner plate. Waited 15 minutes stirred aqua regia mixture then repeated, stirring every 30 minutes, for 2 hours then filtered mixture. My result was after filtration brownish liquid in beaker, added a pinch of urea it fizzed added another pinch until fizzing stopped when it stopped i set it aside. Next I proceeded to drying weighing out mineral that was left. It resulted in 2.05 oz of white mixture. giving me the result of .95 oz mineral in solution, made 4 oz of GP and slowly added into solution, instant reaction solution turned dark brown stirred and waited for 20 minutes set aside came back 1 hour later still nothing had dropped but solution was still brown....... Waited over night to see if anything would drop, result was same nothing had dropped and now it is clear?? PLEASE HELP ME THIS IS FRUSTRATING AND I NEED A PROFESSIONALS HELP.... Please remember im new at this and im asking for help, also im using mineral that i crushed that came back with a result of goldish flakes and micron gold/ gold dust. if you have dealt with this type of mineral then I will be very thankful for any advise you give. Also any one who hasn't but can direct, me to someone who has, i would also be thankful for that also..

welcome to the forum, the only answer i have is 2 questions

#1 how long (total) have you studied in the use of chemicals ?

#2 have you thought about smelting ?

Ore can be a complicated mix of compounds, dumping a bunch of powderd rock in acids are not likely to work for much more than making a dangerous mess.

If this rock has free gold recover it by gravity separation methods.

If this ore has gold bound chemically with the ore as a compound, it will get much more complicated to be able to separate it, and most likely would not be worth trying on a small scale mining operation.

What your trying will most likely not work, but it could be very deadly to add powdered rock to acid especially without any prior pretreatment, depending on what your ore contains, arsenic, hydroden sulfide are just a few of the possible deadly gases that come to mind.

The best way to find out what is in the ore is to have an assay done. This will tell you what you are dealing with. Mixing unknown compounds with acid is dangerous to say the least.
Ken

My advice, as a part time, small scale miner, is for you to put your chemicals away and get an assay on your ore. A proper assay will not only tell you what values are found in your ore, but will also tell you the composition of the ore. This is important when addressing pretreatments and specific recovery methods.

Treating unknown ores with any acids can cause the problems mentioned by Butcher and many more.

In the forum section on prospecting and mining is a thread on qualitative testing of ores. It may prove helpful. An assay is best, however.

Latest posts

Back