New member/placer miner

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, my name is Cary Williams I'm a placer miner in Alaska and am trying to learn how to refine my metal. I've been researching on the internet about the electrolitic process and finding some conflicting information. I talked to a guy that builds a small unit to do 2 kilos in 24hrs and he said I'd have to blend my gold 50/50 with silver to do it. Then read here on forum that I could use aquarigia. My gold is 90%au 8.5-9%ag and I need to process 4-5 hundred oz a week, any insight on best way to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Cary

Hello all, my name is Cary Williams I'm a placer miner in Alaska and am trying to learn how to refine my metal. I've been researching on the internet about the electrolitic process and finding some conflicting information. I talked to a guy that builds a small unit to do 2 kilos in 24hrs and he said I'd have to blend my gold 50/50 with silver to do it. Then read here on forum that I could use aquarigia. My gold is 90%au 8.5-9%ag and I need to process 4-5 hundred oz a week, any insight on best way to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Cary
Welcome to us.
Simply do not listen to more advice from this guy if he actually said that.
For an electrolytic refining of Gold one uses a Moebius cell or a Wohlwill cell.
The feed stock for these will be 95+ % and gives 99.99 + pure Gold.
They are complicated to run and binds up significant Gold in the electrolyte.
So in your case I believe the AR process is better, but this process can't handle more then a low Silver content.
If the Silver content is higher than 10% you might need to dilute (Inquart) your Gold with Silver and part it with Nitric.

So you just an the border to need that, but it should be possible to go directly to AR with some stirring.

Here are some study material to help you on the way.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/safety.47/
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/

Suggested reading:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/forums/the-library.101/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...le-read-this-before-you-post-about-ore.33333/

Forum rules is here.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-refining-forum-rules.31182/

I'm a placer miner in Alaska and am trying to learn how to refine my metal.
Do you have a market (buyer) that will pay you a premium over spot for refined gold - if not you will gain no real advantage in refining your gold

That is because refineries already pay a "near spot" price for gold & they can do that because they don't actually make their money on just refining the gold - rather - they make their money turning the gold they refine into products they then sell for a premium over spot - products such as stamped & certified bullion rounds or bars - or plating solutions - or Jewlers brazing, sheet, wire, etc. etc.

In other words - they (refineries) make their money on the products they make from their refined gold (because those products have added value) rather then on just the refining of the gold they buy

Example; - the refinery I sell my metals to ------------

If I send them a batch of 90% gold that has 50 - 100 ozt gold in the batch they will pay me 98.5 % of gold spot price on the gold in the batch

If I take that same 90% gold - refine it myself to 99.9 % gold - & them send them 50 - 100 ozt of my 999 gold they are still only going to pay me 98.5% of spot for the gold I send them

That is because they are not making their money on the gold they buy by refining the gold - but instead taking the gold they buy & turning into products that have added value which they can sell for a premium over spot

So - unless you have a market (buyer) that will pay you a premium over spot you will gain no real advantage in refining your 90% gold to 999 fine gold

With 400 - 500 ozt gold per week you may (or not) find a refinery that will pay you "a bit" over spot for actual refined gold (I just don't know of one)

The question is - will the cost of doing your own refining justify the "bit" over spot they "may" pay

That all said - we can certainly teach you how to refine your gold - & there are several paths to doing that (we will need more info to help you choose the best path for you) & we can as well help you with what you need to do to set up for your own refining (that is what we do here - teach refining)

For the amount of gold you are talking about it will take a fair investment (both money & time)
I talked to a guy that builds a small unit to do 2 kilos in 24hrs and he said I'd have to blend my gold 50/50 with silver to do it.

It IS NOT as simple as just buying "a small unit" to put a couple kilos in - for that unit to work you also have to work with corrosive & toxic chemicals - so you have to have a lab with fume hood/scrubber etc. to go along with that "unit"

In other words - that "unit" is only "part" of what you need to refine 90% gold to 999 fine gold

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, I understand all that yes I'm getting 98.5% for my gold but 90% fir the silver. I want to keep my silver because I think the long term gain on silver price will be substantial. So I loose 10% on the sale and I can get the silver back in kilos from them fir 2$ over spot, another 8% at today's price and then when decide to sell get hit again for some amount under spot. So I'm loosing 25% of my silver to fees. I'm also looking into minting coins and bars to market myself therefore getting a premium instead of paying one. Thanks Cary

find the right guy like to hire someone to help me setup a system and train on operation

You have just found the right guy(s) & they wont cost you a penny

Though MANY of our members are hobby refiners - some of our members are refiners that have owned &/or run "large" scale refineries

Refining is what we discuss here on the forum & the info we provide (through discussion) is ALL done for free

And yes - we have helped set up &/or fix problems for larger scale refineries - all over the world

A "few" of our members are "world class" refiners - I am not one of them (just like to think I am) :ROFLMAO: ;);)

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, I understand all that yes I'm getting 98.5% for my gold but 90% fir the silver. I want to keep my silver because I think the long term gain on silver price will be substantial. So I loose 10% on the sale and I can get the silver back in kilos from them fir 2$ over spot, another 8% at today's price and then when decide to sell get hit again for some amount under spot. So I'm loosing 25% of my silver to fees. I'm also looking into minting coins and bars to market myself therefore getting a premium instead of paying one. Thanks Cary

Sounds like a business plan still in the planning

We can help

Kurt

I see you are from Fairbank Alaska - I happen to have a very good friend (old high school buddy) that lives in Fairbanks

Edit to add; - he recently retired from working for BLM

I have always wanted to go up for a moose hunt - had one planned at one time but then ended up dealing with a divorce at that time so it didn't work out

Might be worth planning again just to see your mining operation as well

Kurt

Back