New to forum and struggling with claims made by refiner / buyer.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You reason too nobly, perhaps as you would have acted...
:)
Among other things, operating an induction furnace also costs money..
shot the pistol from both sides at best and threw it into the bag...
I can imagine making very nice and fast setup for melting anything up to 2000 °C directly next to the counter (safety shields+proper exhaust etc.) for lots under 1kg with like 5-7k USD. 35kW induction from China for 3k (this will melt 1kg of karat in 10 minutes if you are going easy on it), some simple fume extractor pluged into main hood exhausts, dozen of graphite crucibles, some graphite rods, molds, mini anvil/iron chunk with hammer to tap off the slag... Small vice + drill... Excluding the fume extractor, rest will nicely confine way below 1k USD. Price of fume extractor and some shielding I cannot adress, but considering how little actual space you need for actual melting, this won´t cost that much.

Straightforward, transparent (customer can watch you the whole time = this add orders of magnitude more trust into the process), they can easily pay you in 15 minutes after you walked in...

I recently send in a modest amount of 14,18,21 k to Midwest.
I was very disappointed with two claims they made, and came here to learn the truth. First is weight loss. Sure a primitive setup with open flame will evaporate gold, but common sense would say a commercial setup would use induction, inert gas, and vapour capture. Do people agree 2 to 4% weight loss is unreasonable at a commercial facility? Next is concentration loss. I can’t believe their 8% loss of gold concentration. I didn’t look up vapour pressure at melt temperatures but again, distillation capture. Just using a Pyrex or graphite column would condense vapour. Or use electrostatic means. I await expertise. Anyone?
If you have gold concentrate in large quantities at >20PPM and want to sell. Kindly send a reply or message.

If you have gold concentrate in large quantities at >20PPM and want to sell. Kindly send a reply or message.
If you are soliciting some refining work this should be posted in the Vendors, refiners, buyers, assayers section. And if you are serious about getting any work, perhaps some details about you or your company.

I can imagine making very nice and fast setup for melting anything up to 2000 °C directly next to the counter (safety shields+proper exhaust etc.) for lots under 1kg with like 5-7k USD. 35kW induction from China for 3k (this will melt 1kg of karat in 10 minutes if you are going easy on it), some simple fume extractor pluged into main hood exhausts, dozen of graphite crucibles, some graphite rods, molds, mini anvil/iron chunk with hammer to tap off the slag... Small vice + drill... Excluding the fume extractor, rest will nicely confine way below 1k USD. Price of fume extractor and some shielding I cannot adress, but considering how little actual space you need for actual melting, this won´t cost that much.

Straightforward, transparent (customer can watch you the whole time = this add orders of magnitude more trust into the process), they can easily pay you in 15 minutes after you walked in...
I've seen reception centers like this on TV.
in a program about gold miners in Australia.
They are located in areas where there are many gold miners.
but again, you write about a weight of about a kilogram.
Well, let it be a hundred grams.
but not 20 grams..

Melt loss is stones, lotion and skin packed into crevices, beads that don't coalesce into the melt for whatever reason, inexperienced operators that spill, dragoff during flux mixing and pulling the slags off the melt, vaporization of zinc or oxidation of copper into the slags....the list goes on. On a small melt it can be pretty substantial. On a big melt, it's usually not much more than a small melt.

And there are plenty of places that melt, assay and pay. Hell, I pay higher on scrap than the original poster got paid....but I don't have a fancy website.

And there isn't a melt shop or refining shop out there that can stay open paying 90%. That's pawn shop territory.

I've seen reception centers like this on TV.
in a program about gold miners in Australia.
They are located in areas where there are many gold miners.
but again, you write about a weight of about a kilogram.
Well, let it be a hundred grams.
but not 20 grams..
20g is done in 5 minutes. Even measured with XRF - measuring time and cutting included. This is no hard job...

Latest posts

Back