Newbie at this, Your Information is Much Appreciated

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norsworthy

I have 13 pounds of gold plated brass pins and contacts, 30 plus yrs. old. Product tested with pure gold plate and fairly thick - 80 to 100 microns. I am afraid of the AR technique but may wish to explore a reverse electroplating technique. If someone would tell me the steps with equipment etc., or point me to a previous post that spells this out, I will be on my way.

Product tested with pure gold plate and fairly thick - 80 to 100 microns.

I think you mean 80-100 microinches (millionths of an inch). There are 40 microinches in a micron. 100 microns is .004" and I doubt if any electronic component has ever been plated that thick. Where did you get the information and who tested it? In general, pins weren't plated any thicker 30 years ago than they are today. It requires a certain amount of gold to protect pins and the plating baths are the same today as they were then. I doubt if the plating is more than 30-40 microinches thick.

There's tons of information concerning the use of the sulfuric stripper on this forum. Lazersteve also has one or more videos on his website - goldrecovery.us. I would also suggest going to advanced search - search for things like sulfuric stripper, reverse plating, H2SO4 stripper, etc. When searching for these, type in lazersteve or goldsilverpro in the author field. Lots of others have made valuable posts on this subject but, when the subject was discussed, Steve or I were most always involved. Some of the older posts were the most informative.

Welcome to the forum!
There is alot of related info here, and some very knowledgable people.
GSP is one of them.
Our own "Lazersteve" is also a resident expert on what you've asked.
Be sure to check out his website.

Mark

Back