Newbie: melting 925 silver into ingot

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The silver used was broken sterling silver. My torch is the bernzomatic trigger start hose torch. I am using propane but got the same results with MAPP gas.I thought my torch was the culprit until I saw the original poster had the same torch. I have considered getting the Smith Little Torch or a melting furnace but that is a lot of money to spend not knowing if it will help my current situation.
I cannot honestly answer on the condition of my crucible. I originally thought my problem was not enough flux so i added more but got the same results. I then had (what i believe to be) too much flux in the crucible as it formed a pool at the bottom. I cleaned it out as best I could. Currently the crucible has a small amount of flux at the bottom and i guess it is kind of dirty. Can too much flux or my graphite mold act as a heat sink? I have since learned a little more about proper crucible care/prep and have a new set of dishes on the way. I hope to achieve different results, we shall see.

Back