newbie needing help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickydonk

hello all
new to the site and new to gold refining. ive burnt flat packs/ chips or what ever they are called. I then ground to a fine powder and sieved out large pieces and unwanted metals. ive attempted to pan the gold but cant master this art. so as I'm impatient to get my gold. what process can I use to get the gold.

thanks in advance dickydonk

Welcome.

Dave gave you a great thread to go off of. If you want to practice panning on something of less value, go scoop up some rocks, dust, dirt and throw in a handful of lead sinkers. Work on the bowl until its just the lead sinkers in there.

Its not a perfect practice test, as lead is still less dense than gold, but it is relatively close for these intents and purposes.

Or you could do the gutter/rubber trick patnor has in his thread. Or the 2 bucket method.

There are many ways to go about it but, try to be patient. As it is one of the main requirements of gold refining.

For a practice run with a pan, I used #10 lead shot. That might be a bit hard to find in England though. It is the smallest sized shot commercially available in the U.S. as far as I know. #12 used to be (and may still be) available in rat shot for .22 caliber rim fires. Both make good practice for recovery of fine gold. I have used the two bucket method, Patnor's gutter sluice (which works very well). And I have a mini sluice (commercial made unit, least favored method), and a blue bowl. I use the two bucket method most often then finish panning using a 6 inch pyroceram skillet. While this is my favorite method, I do not think it is any better than the other methods, it just works better for me.

Latest posts

Back