Newbie with a dilema! Wrong Sodium Nitrate?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So which one
Sodium Nitrate or

Sodium Nitrite?

Both are for curing foods.

Then do you add Muriac acid? Let the metals dissolve? Filter and continue as you would with the obvious exception of the " Nitric Acid " .

Serious question. I have been ripping apart computers for years then making them by melting all the metal as one in to a 50 to 100g bar for later refining. I am nearly ready to start refing but as we all know the laws changed so I need help to complete what I started

jonrms said:
Then do you add Muriac acid? Let the metals dissolve? Filter and continue as you would with the obvious exception of the " Nitric Acid " .

Serious question. I have been ripping apart computers for years then making them by melting all the metal as one in to a 50 to 100g bar for later refining. I am nearly ready to start refing but as we all know the laws changed so I need help to complete what I started

As Lino said, nitrate.

I wouldnt get your hopes up of finishing what you started any time soon. Not if you want to do it safely and proficiently.

Melting everything together is going to make this probably 1000 times more difficult than it was already going to be. I would suggest researching and making a copper sulfate cell, but you will have no end to problems when it comes to keeping your electrolyte in proper working condition.

I would say melt it and cornflake or shot it, then run it in nitric. But then you would surely have metastannic sludge and problems the entire rest of the processes. Having tin sludge in the mix makes the work take 50 times longer. -when its still solder thats visible, it can be pretreated and removed so it doesnt make it to the nitric leach. It being melted together, it is now homogenously mixed in the bars (the homogenous bit is an assumption and conjecture at best) so removing the tin initially is now completely out of the question.

You could dissolve it in AR or poorman AR, which is why you are on this thread I presume. Though, it too, has problems. The amount of waste acid will be immense. 1. Gallon of acid dissolves about 2 pounds of metal, but with poorman AR, it has to be diluted (more so than usual) to dissolve the nitrate, and keep the salts in solution. Additionally, all those base metals are again going to cause nothing but grief here as well. Lead and tin make solutions take days to filter, as well as tin can create colloidal gold (the working principle of stannous test solution) which wouldnt even be settled out after a millennia. One of the other problems with this method is, when the acid is fresh, gold will dissolve (what little it can), eventuslly as the acid works away, more and more base metals will be dissolved and that gold will be reduced back out of solution as micro fine black sludge, which could take a good long while to settle.

One of the issues new refiners have is practicing patience, if you dont have that discipline here, you can and will very easily pour out your gold with the spent acid.

So whats a guy to do...
Well, if it was me... ...man, thats a tough question, but, I think I would try a copper sulfate cell for a few weeks, then when I get tired of changing the electrolyte because of it constantly being fouled up (which it inevitably will). I would just drill a hole in the brick, run my air bubbler hose through it, and throw it in my stockpot so it can cement trace values out of my other runs of better stuff. That is probably the only really viable option. Why? Because the precious metal value in computers is small, very small. (Were talking microinches of plating..) While the cost of chemicals, labor, etc... Is quite high. Breaking even is probably only possible if using these bars as a copper feedstock for the stockpot

This may seem like an epic novel of discouragement, but, I'm just trying to help grant you the understanding that myself and many others here had to learn the hard way. This was in no way, shape, or form, trying to scare you off because its "impossible" -its not impossible, its just uneconomical

That was the most helpful reply I received. Thank you. Although I think I might pass on the electrolyte contraption. Drilling a hole or cutting it with would work well.
Your 100% correct about the lack of nitric acid. Yes making the acid is easily done but I am not for breaking the law.

Poor man's aqua Regis here I come... soon. Lol

jonrms said:
That was the most helpful reply I received. Thank you. Although I think I might pass on the electrolyte contraption. Drilling a hole or cutting it with would work well.
Your 100% correct about the lack of nitric acid. Yes making the acid is easily done but I am not for breaking the law.

Poor man's aqua Regis here I come... soon. Lol

I think I may have caused a bit of confusion in that reply.
Forgive me, I will try to clarify.
-poorman AR will work, sure. But, the amount of waste generated will be immense. The cost in acid will be quite high, and the cost of waste treatment will be proportional to that cost factor also.
-"But you said 1 gallon of acid dissolves 2 pounds of metal" -you say in turn.
--correct, but, using poor man AR the sodium nitrate needs to either be dissolved in watet first, or it needs to have a low molar acid solution that it is put into so it can readily dissolve, which in turn will quickly create your nitrosyl chloride (the workhorse of AR)

My third suggestion (the best, most practical, most economic solution!) Was to use it in you stockpot.

-"whats a stockpot?" -you say?
Well, when we dissolve (just for example) some old pentium pro cpus in AR, we remove the excess nitric acid, then chemically reduce the gold out of solution (precipitate the gold, colloquially) because of whatever reason not 100% of the gold will precipitate with your reducing agent. Also, if there are trace amounts of platinum group metals in that solution too, they need to be recovered. It doesnt make sense to chase after a few pennies of platinum with $50 in chemical reducing agents, so we need to have a clever way to reclaim them in a manner thats more frugal (shoutout to dave :) ).

-"What way is that"- you ask?
Well, that way is the stockpot. It is where we put our acid solutions that have traces of values still in solution. In fact, any and every solution that has the potential to dissolve gold, I treat through a stockpot.

-"What is it?"
Well, to answer that, we need a little background on how metal ions in solution behave. For that, we only need to look at the reactivity series of metals. Some really smart guys a long time ago figured out how much electron potential each metal has, and placed them in an ordered scale. So, at the bottom of the list, we have our noble metals. They are quite unreactive, and really dont like being metal salts (being dissolved by an acid, a metal becomes that acid metallic ion, copper in nitric-copper nitrate, copper in HCl-copper chloride, copper in sulfuric-copper sulfate)
Above the noble metals we have mercury, silver, copper. This is important.

-"why"
Well, its important because the metals higher in the list want to be a metal salt more so than the ones below them. So for instance, if we have gold dissolved in AR, we can place a piece of copper in there and the gold will displace the copper into solution, while the copper will reduce the gold back to metallic gold.

So, the long long short of it is.
The stockpot is the best way to go about it, because your bars will be dissolved by waste acid (That was already used to recover or refine gold), and the gold and other noble metals will be recovered for free basically. So, the next lots of PC scrap you get, dont melt them, separate and process them accordingly!

I could probably write another 15,000 words on the reactivity series, stock pot, and much much more. But, I think what will help you the most is directing you to a place where you can make these discoveries on your own. We learn much better when we fit the pieces of the puzzle together ourselves. So, I suggest going to the library section of the forum and finding CM Hokes "Refining precious metal waste" which is a free pdf book that has be generously posted by numerous members. In it, you will get the fundamental principles you need to understand the reactions and the lingo. It is written for everyday guys like you and me.

If paper is more your fancy, I quite like CW Ammens "Recovery and Refining of Precious Metals"
It lays out what a beginner needs to know, what he needs to have in his lab (as far as reagents and equipment, etc), goes over assaying and testing techniques. --Its solid, rock solid--

Theres tons of other literature I could suggest too, but, most important is this forum. It can teach you everything you need to know, you just have to know what to look for. Those books referenced will also help give you the wisdom to know what to look for. Also, take the guided tour, it is a bountiful cornucopia of information.

Too long, didnt read?
-dont use AR, use them to cement out your stockpot, read Hoke. :)

Edit,to fix a letter

:x I love the way you told a brief story about " smart guys " hmm didn't he win a novel prize. No I did read it all but I don't think I processed it all. I will need to reread it and go from there.

're read it again. Still going over it s few more times. I am going and planning to use potassium Nitrate. Not sodium.

I had a minor disagreement on if it's a acid or base. Done alot of checks and it's a neutral nitrate.

So thank you again. I am not ready to do any chemical processing. I stopped smelting the pins and others into bars.

And I am digesting alot. Setting up the lab and fume vents etc.

Eye wash first aid station. Buckets of clean water and industrial baking soda at a ready. I have ALOT to do but I am just gathering informatiin

Latest posts

Back