Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinayz

hi im newbie here in gold refining forum and im very thankful to be here. i started to treat my first try to recover the gold from my 1kilo cellphone scrap. first, i put my scrap into a nitric acid for all night. after that i will separate the scrap from the acid carefully and i add water to the acid to make the heat down and i leave for an hour. my question is what should i do next to separate the other parts like resistors and ic's? because everything in my board is discarded from it. i want to separate the gold plated but i dont know how. pls guide me. what should i do next?

i'm sorry for my english guys. i hope you understand. good day :p

I'm not the best source of help on this forum, but I will say that it sounds to me like you are skipping many important steps. First step I would do is to remove all components from your boards before trying to get the values. There are several ways to do this, mechanical, heat, chemical. All of wich have been discussed on this forum, just use the search function in the upper right hand corner of this page.

If I were you, I would take my time and read as much as I could before I tried anything. If you get in a hurry you will regret it. You could loose values, hurt yourself or others, and cause invryomental hazards.

Good news is you have defiantly come to the right place, if your goal is to learn and be successfull that is.

Good luck

if nitric is readily available and affordable, then you should have no problem separating the components from the boards this way. filter the solution you have now through a couple of coffee filters into a clean glass vessel to recover the silver.rinse the material with a little water and add this to your solution through the filter.now just pick out the plastic and rinse each piece into a separate container to clean it of any foils. when you have rinsed the foils from all the components, rinse the filter into the container with the rest of your foils.save the filter for later processing as it will still contain a little gold.

the blue-green solution you filtered off will have some PM's in it. you can cement them out using a piece of copper or you can add some salt and make silver chloride first to retrieve the silver and then cement to retrieve any palladium. personally, i would cement with copper and refine the silver later.

How are you removing the tin before going to nitric acid?
Are your solutions difficult to filter?
An initial soak in HCl would depopulate your boards and remove tin, making filtering easier later in your processing

edited for clarity

if you soak in hcl first, it will make it problematic to use the nitric afterwards without incinerating. the amount of tin in the cell boards is somewhat less than a computer board because the scale is so much smaller (unless your processing many pounds at a time).if he didnt mention a white jelly sticking to everything then i dont think he had an issue with it. usually that the first thing that comes up. the thread would have started with something like "i did this and now i have this white goo" :lol:

Geo said:
if you soak in hcl first, it will make it problematic to use the nitric afterwards without incinerating. the amount of tin in the cell boards is somewhat less than a computer board because the scale is so much smaller (unless your processing many pounds at a time).if he didnt mention a white jelly sticking to everything then i dont think he had an issue with it. usually that the first thing that comes up. the thread would have started with something like "i did this and now i have this white goo" :lol:

Geo,if you read exactly what he has written, he hasn't actually filtered anything yet.
Good practice is to remove base metals first, therefore depopulate and dissolve the solder first, using HCl.
Clean goldplated boards can then go to AP, no nitric acid needed even if it is cheap and available.

depends, the biggest complaint with AP and cell boards is the gold getting lost in the solution. people swear the gold is dissolved, but the gold gets broken up into pieces so small it just gets lost and usually (unless its an experienced refiner) a beginner will lose some gold. if he doesnt have a problem with metastannic acid (which will show immediately after dissolution) then nitric acid is much faster.remember, there is usually more than one way to do things and nitric acid is one way of removing base metals first before refining. many members still use nitric acid dissolution to process pins as its so much faster. its normally a question of availability of the nitric. if i had a cheap supply that would be my primary process for removing base metal.

Geo said:
its normally a question of availability of the nitric. if i had a cheap supply that would be my primary process for removing base metal.

Whats the rush? Whilst I agree with the sentiment, nitric being quicker at dissolution of most base metals, considering the safety concerns, fumes etc I cant understand why any "newbie" who's done a little reading would want to crack open the nitric and start dumping boards in. I guess the reading hasn't been done? I've had a bottle for 6mths and it remains untouched. A pre soak in hcl then onto AP may take a little longer but from the newbie point of view is much less hassle, once the boards are depopulated lasersteves videos on AP (goldrecovery.us) would guide you through the rest of the process of stripping the foils and melting a button.

I do not think 1 kilo of cell phone scrap will give you a measurable yield. Any one know any different?

thanks for your reply guys. i realy apreciate your sugestion and i starting to learn more from you. anyway before i soak my cellphone scrap i remove first any metal on my board except the ic's and resistors/capacitors etc. if i ask you guys what is the acid that you use for depopulating component from the board? if i need to depapulated my board i prefered to use hot air. is this a good idea?

efter the clearing of the components from my scrap. what is the best acid can i use instead of nitric to save the gold for powdering? because my first try using the nitric acid is not realy good the gold plated from my board is turn into a small peace and almost powdered so it's hard to filter it from the acid containing with the dust and other materials from it. pls give me some advise guys. thanks in advance and more power to the admin and members here. good day :)

Latest posts

Back