Next batch or save to burn from AP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfd298

I have a question from the AP process. The filters that are used during the different HCL washes at the end, what should be done with them? Should they be saved in the burn pile or rinsed into the next batch of AP or something else. I've been saving them for now because I know there are some foils and black powder mixed in them. Thanks!

Attachments

• Wash Filter.JPG
    Wash Filter.JPG
    4.8 MB
Rinse what you can into the foils before they get dissolved in AR or HCl-Cl, what's left goes into the burn pile to recover the traces later.

Steve

Often, a lot of fine gold gets stuck in the filter paper. I've never heard of anyone else doing this but, when I used to re-dissolve the gold powder in hot AR, I would put the filter paper in the same AR, as well. The hot acid pulps the paper and breaks it up into fibers, which helps collect the silver chloride and garbage and speeds up the filtering. I then rinsed in the filter until all the yellow was rinsed out. The papers are still worth saving but you tend to get more out, the first time, this way. I usually limited myself to 2 papers when doing this.

My retirement savings plan was to incinerate and store all of the low grade wastes, such as the filters in question. Do keep in mind, I refined for many years, and handled a lot of gold, but recovering over 200 ounces when I finally ran my wastes was a treat well worth waiting for.

We are advised, on a regular basis, to put something away in the way of savings. Can you think of a less painful way to save than storing incinerated filters?

Harold

Latest posts

Back