Next step?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLumsbay

While I'm waiting for my 1,300 grams of pins to digest, I started micro-scrapping going through the DVD devices from the 200 laptops I'm processing. I collected all the laser diodes and anything else that was interesting (Mostly tiny ribbon flat packs and wafer laser diodes-pictured). After mechanically separating the base metals, I incinerated the remains and washed them in DH2O. My thought was to wash them briefly in AR and stop the reaction before the base metals started to displace any collected PM's, precipitate and refine from there. Started with 130 grams of washed material. After ~ 20 mins The liquor tested positive for trace Au so I continued, after another 10 mins test was negative for Au but lit up yellow. So I decided to just get everything into solution and deal with it from there. It took the whole day at 90C with silver particulates the last to go. Today, I evaporated to a syrup and rehydrated x2 with HCl and ended up with the pictured stannous assay. Top left is the control, bottom left is after 20 minute wash .Top right is the control, bottom right is the stannous result after full digestion. I'm not sure where it may have came from, but I suspect PGM's. There's obviously no significant financial value here so I'd like to cash in on the educational value.

Where should I go from here in assaying the contents? Thank you for all your help.20230604_202726.jpg20230605_145731.jpg

While I'm waiting for my 1,300 grams of pins to digest, I started micro-scrapping going through the DVD devices from the 200 laptops I'm processing. I collected all the laser diodes and anything else that was interesting (Mostly tiny ribbon flat packs and wafer laser diodes-pictured). After mechanically separating the base metals, I incinerated the remains and washed them in DH2O. My thought was to wash them briefly in AR and stop the reaction before the base metals started to displace any collected PM's, precipitate and refine from there. Started with 130 grams of washed material. After ~ 20 mins The liquor tested positive for trace Au so I continued, after another 10 mins test was negative for Au but lit up yellow. So I decided to just get everything into solution and deal with it from there. It took the whole day at 90C with silver particulates the last to go. Today, I evaporated to a syrup and rehydrated x2 with HCl and ended up with the pictured stannous assay. Top left is the control, bottom left is after 20 minute wash .Top right is the control, bottom right is the stannous result after full digestion. I'm not sure where it may have came from, but I suspect PGM's. There's obviously no significant financial value here so I'd like to cash in on the educational value.

Where should I go from here in assaying the contents? Thank you for all your help.View attachment 57457View attachment 57458
Nothing here looks like Gold to me.
Then again, these spot plates are hard to see properly.
Just use a cotton bud or a piece of paper, dip one end in and then place a drop of Stannous so it moves to the testing drop.
On paper next to the first drop, on cotton buds drip the tip and add the Stannous at the other and of the cotton.
This way you will have a clear reaction front and this is easier to interpret.

Thanks for the response Yggdrasil . Here's the paper test. Your Thoughts?
View attachment 57463
Now you can se a faint indication between the yellow liquid and the clear Stannous.
So I'll say there is Gold, but not much.
Do you have about 250ml of this liquid now?
If so, I'll just put it in the stock pot for later retrieval.
If you really want it now, I would cement it on Copper, but it will be hardly visible.

Now you can se a faint indication between the yellow liquid and the clear Stannous.
So I'll say there is Gold, but not much.
Do you have about 250ml of this liquid now?
If so, I'll just put it in the stock pot for later retrieval.
If you really want it now, I would cement it on Copper, but it will be hardly visible.
Yes about 250ml. The Gold is worthy of my stock pot but what are your thoughts about the other colors? Any PGM's suspected? Thank you again for your time.

Back